[NatureNS] Nocturnal Migration for the 2nd and 3rd Weeks of July

From: "John Kearney" <j.f.kearney@gmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 21:26:40 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D5419D.52102B80

Hi All,

Early Shorebird Migration Monitoring. For six days, 7-13 July, I set up an
AudioMoth microphone and recorder at the edge of Sandyland Ponds in Beaver
River. This microphone does not reach as high into the sky as my regular,
highly directional microphone for nocturnal migration, the 21c. However, I
was running the microphone both during the night and in the early morning to
detect the arrival of early migrating shorebirds. Being an omnidirectional
microphone, the AudioMoth was a better match for the objective of detecting
early shorebird migration in these coastal ponds.

A total of 50 shorebirds were detected during the six days, most of them in
the early morning rather than at night. The most abundant, as expected for
these early dates, was Short-billed Dowitcher (19 estimated birds). Other
shorebirds recorded included Least Sandpiper (11), Whimbrel (8), Greater
Yellowlegs (3), Spotted Sandpiper (2), Killdeer (2), Willet (2),
Semipalmated Sandpiper (2), and Lesser Yellowlegs (1). A Sora was heard
calling on 12 July at 0237 hours.

My full-scale monitoring of nocturnal migration for the autumn of 2019 began
on the night of 15 July 2019 at my usual monitoring station at Beaver River.
This site, while only a couple of hundred meters from the coastal ponds, had
just a few shorebirds throughout the week. These included 3 Least Sandpipers
and 3 Spotted Sandpipers.

The first songbird in nocturnal migration was a Savannah Sparrow at 0142
hours on 22 July. A White-throated Sparrow followed about a half hour later
and then 2 Yellow-rumped Warblers. These birds are not likely true migrants
but are undertaking post-breeding movements across the landscape in search
of foraging areas. In fact, the main migration of these three species comes
relatively late in the autumn.

Follow the migration at Beaver River on my website
<https://johnfkearney.com/category/nocturnal-migration-journal/>  or on
eBird at NFC Station Beaver River or NFC Station Sandyland Ponds.

John

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D5419D.52102B80

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Hi =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:black'>E=
arly Shorebird Migration Monitoring.</span></strong><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:black'> =
For six days, 7-13 July, I set up an AudioMoth microphone and recorder =
at the edge of Sandyland Ponds in Beaver River. This microphone does not =
reach as high into the sky as my regular, highly directional microphone =
for nocturnal migration, the 21c. However, I was running the microphone =
both during the night and in the early morning to detect the arrival of =
early migrating shorebirds. Being an omnidirectional microphone, the =
AudioMoth was a better match for the objective of detecting early =
shorebird migration in these coastal ponds.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:black'><=
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:black'>A=
 total of 50 shorebirds were detected during the six days, most of them =
in the early morning rather than at night. The most abundant, as =
expected for these early dates, was Short-billed Dowitcher (19 estimated =
birds). Other shorebirds recorded included Least Sandpiper (11), =
Whimbrel (8), Greater Yellowlegs (3), Spotted Sandpiper (2), Killdeer =
(2), Willet (2), Semipalmated Sandpiper (2), and Lesser Yellowlegs (1). =
A Sora was heard calling on 12 July at 0237 =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>My full-scale monitoring of =
nocturnal migration for the autumn of 2019 began on the night of 15 July =
2019 at my usual monitoring station at Beaver River. This site, while =
only a couple of hundred meters from the coastal ponds, had just a few =
shorebirds throughout the week. These included 3 Least Sandpipers and 3 =
Spotted Sandpipers.</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>The first songbird in nocturnal =
migration was a Savannah Sparrow at 0142 hours on 22 July. A =
White-throated Sparrow followed about a half hour later and then 2 =
Yellow-rumped Warblers. These birds are not likely true migrants but are =
undertaking post-breeding movements across the landscape in search of =
foraging areas. In fact, the main migration of these three species comes =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>Follow the migration at Beaver =
River on my <a =
href=3D"https://johnfkea