[NatureNS] Mission Monarch Reporting

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 04:49:12 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-068D5DF9-AC78-4D4D-AFFB-2ECF440B2E7C

Not sure about these data collection sites, but I find few that share data w=
hich is too bad. Like you, I find it extremely time-consuming to input sight=
ings of anything and I only want to do so once (eBird or BugGuide is it for m=
e). And there is so much data out there on multiple forums it is too bad org=
anizations do not get together more often.  BugGuide and Moth Photographers G=
roup are two that do share data.  I believe eBird and iNaturalist also work t=
ogether at times too.=20

Nancy D

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 27, 2019, at 5:46 PM, George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hi Larry,
>=20
> I have submitted all of my butterfly sightings to eButterfly, do the two o=
rganizations share data? I don't think I want to sit at my computer any more=
 than I really need to, I submit regularly to eBird and eButterfly, I don't r=
eally have time to send into another group.
>  It's not that I'm not interested or supportive but I would rather be outd=
oors!
>=20
> Great to hear of your Monarchs settling in for another breeding season, I d=
id see caterpillars in New Minas and they were already quite large, I submit=
ted photos to eButterfly.
>=20
> Cheers, George
>=20
>> On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 at 16:56, Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>   This is a reminder that it is a good time to survey for evidence of Mon=
arch activity and report it. Mission Monarch (mission-monarch.org) is the si=
te to input your information. There are instructions, information and data i=
nput available on their webpage.
>>=20
>> This coming week is the International Monarch Monitoring Blitz: July 27th=
 =E2=80=93 August 4th 2019. But surveying can be done anytime before and aft=
er. The Monarchs will be here into September.
>>=20
>> Yesterday, I did another survey of Monarchs in our 2 hectare field and sa=
w over 30 adults.  Among them were three pairs coupled. The females are very=
 active laying eggs. In a small survey of small common milkweed plants Aliso=
n and I collected 25 Monarch eggs and two small larvae.
>>=20
>> In comparing activity this year with last, the larvae seem to be behind b=
y 7-10 days. Last year there were more large larvae seen in the fields than w=
e see now.=20
>>=20
>> Good hunting.
>> Larry
>>=20
>> --=20
>> Larry Bogan=20
>> <larry@bogan.ca>
>> Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia

--Apple-Mail-068D5DF9-AC78-4D4D-AFFB-2ECF440B2E7C

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Not sure about these data collection sites,=
 but I find few that share data which is too bad. Like you, I find it extrem=
ely time-consuming to input sightings of anything and I only want to do so o=
nce (eBird or BugGuide is it for me). And there is so much data out there on=
 multiple forums it is too bad organizations do not get together more often.=
 &nbsp;BugGuide and Moth Photographers Group are two that do share data. &nb=
sp;I believe eBird and iNaturalist also work together at times too.&nbsp;<di=
ge Forsyth &lt;ge4syth@gmail.com&gt=
terfly sightings to eButterfly, do the two organizations share data? I don't=
 think I want to sit at my computer any more than I really need to, I submit=
 regularly to eBird and eButterfly, I don't really have time to send into an=
other group.</div><div>&nbsp;It's not that I'm not interested or supportive b=
r Monarchs settling in for another breeding season, I did see caterpillars i=
n New Minas and they were already quite large, I submitted photos to eButter=
"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 at 1=
6:56, Larry Bogan &lt;larry@bogan.ca&g=
t; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px=
 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hi all,<=
br>
&nbsp; This is a reminder that it is a good time to survey for evidence of M=
onarch activity and report it. Mission Monarch (<a href=3D"http://mission-mo=
narch.org" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">mission-monarch.org</a>) is t=
he site to input your information. There are instructions, information and d=
ata input available on their webpage.<br>
This coming week is the International Monarch Monitoring Blitz: July 27th =E2=
=80=93 August 4th 2019. But surveying can be done anytime before and after. T=
he Monarchs will be here into September.<br>
Yesterday, I did another survey of Monarchs in our 2 hectare field and saw o=
ver 30 adults.&nbsp; Among them were three pairs coupled. The females are ve=
ry active laying eggs. In a small survey of small common milkweed plants Ali=
son and I collected 25 Monarch eggs and two small larvae.<br>
In comparing activity this year with last, the larvae seem to be behind by 7=
-10 days. Last year there were more large larvae seen in the fields than we s=
ee now. <br>
Good hunting.<br>
Larry<br>
-- <br>
Larry Bogan <br>
&lt;larry@bogan.ca&g=
t;<br>
Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia<br>

--Apple-Mail-068D5DF9-AC78-4D4D-AFFB-2ECF440B2E7C--

Index of Subjects in thread
Ind