[NatureNS] Robie W . Tufts Day

ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none;
From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: Soren Bondrup-Nielsen <soren.bondrup-nielsen@acadiau.ca>,
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 23:28:28 +0000

--_000_YQXPR0101MB127223154F3852339AF3C5C3D1D10YQXPR0101MB1272_

Hello all,

Yes it is almost August 11 again, the 135th anniversary of the birth of Rob=
ie Tufts, who almost single-handedly brought enforcement of the Migratory B=
irds Convention Act to the Maritime Provinces, and encouraged interest in a=
nd appreciation for our birds in so many ways, including dozens (hundreds?)=
 of presentations to school groups and correspondence with dozens of Mariti=
mers about birds.  His book Some Common Birds of Nova Scotia was supplied t=
o Nova Scotia schools and was usually the only book on birds in rural schoo=
ls from 1938 to the 1950s.   Of course, today we know him better as a mento=
r to many birders, naturalists, and ornithologists, a founder of the N. S. =
Bird Society, and author of the first comprehensive Birds of Nova Scotia.

  Most of the generations that he mentored directly are themselves gone tod=
ay, so I was disappointed to see that neither the Blomidon Naturalists' Soc=
iety nor the NSBS has done anything to recognize this date as a time to hon=
our him.  My health and circumstances will likely prevent me from making th=
e usual pilgrimage to Evangeline Beach and Grand Pr=E9 this year, but I hop=
e that many of you will get out there as he would have done if he were stil=
l with us.  About two hours before high tide at the Beach is usually best, =
then watch the tide bring the shorebirds closer to you.  Near high tide, so=
me of them will come up onto grazed or mown or cultivated fields on the Pr=
=E9.

Meanwhile BNS and NSBS, please consider making this date a part of your ann=
ual calendar, perhaps with shorebird watches at other sites around the prov=
ince as well, and have someone designated to report to eBird and Naturens.

Cheers,

Wayne P. Neily
Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia

If we care about the future, we make E.I.A.* part of every decision or plan=
. -
* =3D Environmental Impact Assessment  (size appropriate to the significanc=
e of the plan or action).

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." - Henry D. Thoreau

"To a person uninstructed in natural history, his country or seaside stroll=
 is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art, nine-tenth=
s of which have their faces turned to the wall." - Thomas H. Huxley, 1854.

"Think globally, Act locally." - Ren=E9 Dubos, 1972.

--_000_YQXPR0101MB127223154F3852339AF3C5C3D1D10YQXPR0101MB1272_

<head>
1">
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
f; font-size: 12pt;">
Hello all,</div>
f; font-size: 12pt;">
f; font-size: 12pt;">
Yes it is almost August 11 again, the 135th anniversary of the birth of Rob=
ie Tufts, who almost single-handedly brought enforcement of the Migratory B=
irds Convention Act to the Maritime Provinces, and encouraged interest in a=
nd appreciation for our birds in
 so many ways, including dozens (hundreds?) of presentations to school grou=
ps and correspondence with dozens of Maritimers about birds.&nbsp; His book
<em>Some Common Birds of Nova Scotia</em> was supplied to Nova Scotia schoo=
ls and was usually the only book on birds in rural schools from 1938 to the=
 1950s.&nbsp;&nbsp; Of course, today we know him better as a mentor to many=
 birders, naturalists, and ornithologists,
 a founder of the N. S. Bird Society, and author of the first comprehensive=
s gone today, so I was disappointed to see that neither the Blomidon Natura=
lists' Society nor the NSBS has done anything to recognize this date as a t=
ime to honour him.&nbsp; My health and circumstances
 will likely prevent me from making the usual pilgrimage to Evangeline Beac=
h and Grand Pr=E9 this year, but I hope that many of you will get out there=
 as he would have done if he were still with us.&nbsp; About two hours befo=
re high tide at the Beach is usually best,
 then watch the tide bring the shorebirds closer to you.&nbsp; Near high ti=
de, some of them will come up onto grazed or mown or cultivated fields on t=
he Pr=E9.</div>
 your annual calendar, perhaps with shorebird watches at other sites around=
 the province as well, and have someone designated to report to eBird and N=
aturens.</em></div>
 Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">
x;"></p>
Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia</div>
ecision or plan. -<br>
ignificance of the plan or action).</div>
-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0=
px; white-space: normal; border-collapse: separate;"><br>
&quot;In wildness is the preservation of the world.&quot; - Henry D. Thorea=
u <br>
&quot;To a person uninstructed in natural history, his country or seaside s=
troll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art, nine-=
tenths of which have their faces turned to the wall.&quot; - Thomas H. Huxl=
ey, 1854.
&quot;Think globally, Act locally.&quot; - Ren=E9 Dubos, 1972. <br>

--_000_YQXPR0101MB127223154F3852339AF3C5C3D1D10YQXPR0101MB1272_--