[NatureNS] Cornell Article

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 09:00:09 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000140554058fd609b8

A key difference between a known old growth area (eg Abraham's lake,
sporting lake and Cape chignecto) is , yes, the big trees uneven aged snags
and downed logs, but as much, the depth of humus.

Our observations were spotty it was long ago but we went into old growths
and then "working" landscapes which had been cut over repeatedly and
collected soils for microbial characterization. The hypothesis was the old
forests might have stress tolerant actinomycetes that could have useful
antibiotics in their long term struggles against fungi and other microbes.

We never unfortunately got that far but the working landscapes had
virtually no organic covering over he mineral soil while the old growths
had deep humus.

With forestry, that humus layer will e reduced but it should be valued
because of it is enriched in many forest nutrients..N P Ca..that are
deficient in the mineral layer. The humus is also the seat of the
mycorrhizae and other microbes we may not understand. Forests are said to
have u undergone a shift in my original types in response to the break up
of this humus root layer. We could do ecological forestry and that would
mean working with the key ecological processes..decomposition
mineralization  mycorrhizal associations.. and doing our best to conserve
the humus layer.

Ecological forestry means no Amazonia like burn piles, no glyphosate which
wipes out early regen and amphibians and plant biodiversity, and attention
to mimicking forest processes. It would be excitng to be involved in this
post Lahey planning.

Stay tuned and stay vigilant

Nick