[NatureNS] Cornell Article

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:21:02 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;         prohibitive by air and clearcuts make applicatio
--000000000000807ea9058fd8d7f7

Hi Bev
Cucumber root is a useful indicator of stable forest and a continuity of
forest canopy shade though there would be light gaps as old trees pitched
making those pits DP noted.
I recall while doing a rare plant survey of an area that was mainly a
clearcut before being sold for another development, how the Cucumber Lilies
were wilting in the full sun with their tree community removed.

Such management reduces the shade adapted species and enriches the
pincherry red maple and raspberry and popple. This leads to a further
agricultural argument on the need to apply glyphosate. This is inorganic
agriculture that takes soil as substrate and leaves the organic capital out
of the  equation. There will be case made for doing this on plantation
lands according to the triad approach acknowledged in the Lahey report and
planned for by DLF. Plantations will be biodiversity losses and must be
acknowledged as such. The Crown lands are common lands. What fraction of
these should be plantations?

A lot of decisions with long term consequences for biodiversity and
ecological services. Thankyou so much for bringing biodiversity issues to
the fore.

Nick

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019, 10:45 AM Bev Wigney, <bkwigney@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> And as you might expect, I have to comment here regarding
> Corbett-Dalhousie Peninsula's hardwood forest which has many wonderful
> massive Yellow Birch, as well as Sugar Maple, Red Maple, Red Spruce,
> Beech -- If you stand in the part which has not yet been logged - that
> which we have been trying to have left as it is -- the moss is deep
> and soft  and so is the duff beneath.  It's all pit and mound -- very
> deep -- and the soil retains a great deal of moisture.  There are
> plenty of young Yellow Birch, Beech and other hardwoods getting
> growing under the high canopy.
>
> However, move just 10 or 20 meters out of the un-cut part into the
> section that was logged last autumn -- and stand in the extraction
> lanes where all of the trees have been removed and it's just sharp,
> crushed slash -- and in between those lanes to where a large
> percentage of the "leave strips" are also removed, and you'll find a
> very different story.  The soil is now hard and bare and it feels
> "hot" - like standing on concrete on a hot summer's day -- and that's
> even on a cool, sunny spring day in  April.  The moss is all crispy
> and crumbled away  to dust.  There are few forest plants hanging on --
> while  just a stone's throw away, back in the un-cut part, you will
> find Hobblebush, Ladyslipper, Indian Cucumber Root, Painted Trillium,
> and so on.
>
> Two forests -- one still quite natural and full of life -- full of
> nesting birds in summer -- active bear dens -- vernal pools.  The
> other part, parched and dry.  Who knows how many years it will take
> for it to even begin to resemble the unlogged forest to one side --
> only they intend to log IT AS WELL this autumn -- to make it all the
> same --- hard as concrete and devoid of native plants and bushes --
> crush all the young Beech and Yellow Birch to get at who knows what.
>
> bev
>
> On 8/11/19, David Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And just as significant, pretty well all Old Growth in NS is
> characterized
> > by a Pit and Mound topography, really that should be amongst the criteria
> > for calling a stand Old Growth (but is not mentioned in the Old Forest
> > Policy). The mounds preserve the old microbial processes, and the mounds
> > are favoured habitat for seedlings - most of the Big Trees in the Old
> > Growth occurs on the mounds, the mounds formed when a very big tree is
> > blown over. That process also produces vernal pools and  shelter for
> > wildlife. When the mounds erode over time, the tops of the roots are
> > exposed, and cavities formed which are again used by wildlife.So when we
> > "salvage" blowdowns, we are also interrupting a natural process.  How
> much
> > attention is being given to such processes in L&F's Retention
> > Guidelines...?

--000000000000807ea9058fd8d7f7

or of stable forest and a continuity of forest canopy shade though there wo=
uld be light gaps as old trees pitched making those pits DP noted.=C2=A0<di=
v dir=3D"auto">I recall while doing a rare plant survey of an area that was=
 mainly a clearcut before being sold for another development, how the Cucum=
ber Lilies were wilting in the full sun with their tree community removed.<=
the shade adapted species and enriches the pincherry red maple and raspberr=
y and popple. This leads to a further agricultural argument on the need to =
apply glyphosate. This is inorganic agriculture that takes soil as substrat=
e and leaves the organic capital out of the=C2=A0 equation. There will be c=
ase made for doing this on plantation=C2=A0 lands according to the triad ap=
proach acknowledged in the Lahey report and planned for by DLF. Plantations=
 will be biodiversity losses and must be acknowledged as such. The Crown la=
nds are common lands. What fraction of these should be plantations?=C2=A0</=
ong term consequences for biodiversity and ecological services. Thankyou so=
 much for bringing biodiversity issues to the fore.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=
=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Aug 11, 2019=
, 10:45 AM Bev Wigney, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bkwigney@gmail.com">bkwigney@g=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">All,<br>
And as you might expect, I have to comment here regarding<br>
Corbett-Dalhousie Peninsula&#39;s hardwood forest which has many wonderful<=
br>
massive Yellow Birch, as well as Sugar Maple, Red Maple, Red Spruce,<br>
Beech -- If you stand in the part which has not yet been logged - that<br>
which we have been trying to have left as it is -- the moss is deep<br>
and soft=C2=A0 and so is the duff beneath.=C2=A0 It&#39;s all pit and mound=
 -- very<br>
deep -- and the soil retains a great deal of moisture.=C2=A0 There are<br>
plenty of young Yellow Birch, Beech and other hardwoods getting<br>
growing under the high canopy.<br>
However, move just 10 or 20 meters out of the un-cut part into the<br>
section that was logged last autumn -- and stand in the extraction<br>
lanes where all of the trees have been removed and it&#39;s just sharp,<br>
crushed slash -- and in between those lanes to where a large<br>
percentage of the &quot;leave strips&quot; are also removed, and you&#39;ll=
 find a<br>
very different story.=C2=A0 The soil is now hard and bare and it feels<br>
&quot;hot&quot; - like standing on concrete on a hot summer&#39;s day -- an=
d that&#39;s<br>
even on a cool, sunny spring day in=C2=A0 April.=C2=A0 The moss is all cris=
py<br>
and crumbled away=C2=A0 to dust.=C2=A0 There are few forest plants hanging =
on --<br>
while=C2=A0 just a stone&#39;s throw away, back in the un-cut part, you wil=
l<br>
find Hobblebush, Ladyslipper, Indian Cucumber Root, Painted Trillium,<br>
and so on.<br>
Two forests -- one still quite natural and full of life -- full of<br>
nesting birds in summer -- active bear dens -- vernal pools.=C2=A0 The<br>
other part, parched and dry.=C2=A0 Who knows how many years it will take<br=

for it to even begin to resemble the unlogged forest to one side --<br>
only they intend to log IT AS WELL this autumn -- to make it all the<br>
same --- hard as concrete and devoid of native plants and bushes --<br>
crush all the young Beech and Yellow Birch to get at who knows what.<br>
bev<br>
On 8/11/19, David Patriquin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:davidgpatriquin@gmail.com=
" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">davidgpatriquin@gmail.com</a>&gt; wr=
ote:<br>
&gt; And just as significant, pretty well all Old Growth in NS is character=
ized<br>
&gt; by a Pit and Mound topography, really that should be amongst the crite=
ria<br>
&gt; for calling a stand Old Growth (but is not mentioned in the Old Forest=
&gt; Policy). The mounds preserve the old microbial processes, and the moun=
ds<br>
&gt; are favoured habitat for seedlings - most of the Big Trees in the Old<=
br>
&gt; Growth occurs on the mounds, the mounds formed when a very big tree is=
&gt; blown over. That process also produces vernal pools and=C2=A0 shelter =
for<br>
&gt; wildlife. When the mounds erode over time, the tops of the roots are<b=
r>
&gt; exposed, and cavities formed which are again used by wildlife.So when =
we<br>
&gt; &quot;salvage&quot; blowdowns, we are also interrupting a natural proc=
ess.=C2=A0 How much<br>
&gt; attention is being given to such processes in L&amp;F&#39;s Retention<=
br>
&gt; Guidelines...?<br>
&gt;<br>

--000000000000807ea9058fd8d7f7--