[NatureNS] Nocturnal Migration for the 2nd Week of August

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 06:24:13 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--00000000000003bcb805909d25bc

I think any good news with regards to "our" warblers needs to be referenced
back to what is happening in their "winter" range AND how the species might
be evolving, literally, in their use of that range. I wonder if we won't
find modest shifts in use of specific habitats in that range to make the
most of what remains e.g. slightly higher altitudes, shade-grown coffee,
national parks that are actually maintained as parks (no cutting), etc.
In 2017 & 2018 I was in Colombia for about two weeks each year with Avery
Bartels. I saw 10 Canada Warblers in 2017 & 17 in 2018. This would be a few
more than I saw each year in NS, despite being one who specifically goes
out to search for them each year. Needless to say, we were not looking for
CAWA down there. We were just in good habitats throughout the Andes.
I visit specific locations each year, in NS, that should be fine for CAWA,
but they are not occupied.
Regards, Rick.

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 21:14, John Kearney <j.f.kearney@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don=E2=80=99t know Nancy but I=E2=80=99m working on it.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Aug 20, 2019, at 7:13 PM, NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Neat and good to hear about the apparent increase in Canada Warblers.
> Wondering what land area you feel most of the migrants you record draw
> from? i.e. mainly NS or also from farther afield.
> >
> > Thanks, Nancy D
> >
> >> On Aug 18, 2019, at 9:15 PM, John Kearney <j.f.kearney@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >> Early migrants erupted over Beaver River this week. While the week
> began slowly, during the two nights beginning on 13 and 14 August, there
> was a steady of stream of migrants from about an hour after sunset to an
> hour before sunrise. The five most abundant birds were American Redstart
> (an estimated 189 birds), Black-and-white Warbler (182), Yellow Warbler
> (171), Magnolia Warbler (132), and Canada Warbler (116). It seems almost
> unbelievable that Canada Warbler, a species at risk, would be the fifth
> most abundant bird this week. Its spectrogram is one of the most
> unmistakable of all night flight calls. Canada Warbler has been increasin=
> every year that I have been monitoring in Southwest Nova Scotia. Compared
> to this week in 2018, the estimated number of Canada Warblers increased b=
> 43 birds or by 59%.
> >> Overall, the total number of flight calls increased by 17% compared to
> the same week last year at Beaver River and by 6% in total estimated bird=
s.
> The number of estimated birds that increased compared to last year were
> American Redstart (+13%), Black-and-white Warbler (+107%), Yellow Warbler
> (+22%), Magnolia Warbler (+9%), Bay-breasted Warbler (+188%), Blackburnia=
> Warbler (+16%), and Northern Waterthrush (+66%). Only the Chestnut-sided
> Warbler declined significantly (-51%). A total of 18 warbler species were
> recorded during the week.
> >> There were very small numbers of sparrows (4 in total) but a Nelson=E2=
=80=99s
> Sparrow was unusual for this early in the migration. Small numbers of 5
> species of shorebirds were recorded. The first Swainson=E2=80=99s Thrush =
of the
> autumn migration was noted on the morning of 15 August.
> >> See my webpage for more information and look for NFC Station Beaver
> River on eBird.
> >> John

--00000000000003bcb805909d25bc

lers needs to be referenced back to what is happening in their &quot;winter=
&quot; range AND how the species might be evolving, literally, in their use=
 of that range. I wonder if we won&#39;t find modest shifts in use of speci=
fic habitats in that range to make the most of what remains e.g. slightly h=
igher altitudes, shade-grown coffee, national parks that are actually maint=
ained as parks (no cutting), etc.<div>In 2017 &amp; 2018 I was in Colombia =
for about two weeks each year with Avery Bartels. I saw 10 Canada Warblers =
in 2017 &amp; 17 in 2018. This would be a few more than I saw each year in =
NS, despite being one who specifically goes out to search for them each yea=
r. Needless to say, we were not looking for CAWA down there. We were just i=
n good habitats throughout the Andes.</div><div>I visit specific locations =
each year, in NS, that should be fine for CAWA, but they are not occupied.<=
=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 21:14, John Kearney &l=
t;j.f.kearney@gmail.com&gt; wr=
ote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px=
 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-color:rgb(=
204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I don=E2=80=99t know Nancy but I=E2=80=99m w=
orking on it. <br>
Sent from my iPad<br>
&gt; On Aug 20, 2019, at 7:13 PM, NancyDowd &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdow=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">nancypdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Neat and good to hear about the apparent increase in Canada Warblers. =
Wondering what land area you feel most of the migrants you record draw from=
? i.e. mainly NS or also from farther afield.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks, Nancy D<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; On Aug 18, 2019, at 9:15 PM, John Kearney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:j.=
&gt;&gt; Early migrants erupted over Beaver River this week. While the week=
 began slowly, during the two nights beginning on 13 and 14 August, there w=
as a steady of stream of migrants from about an hour after sunset to an hou=
r before sunrise. The five most abundant birds were American Redstart (an e=
stimated 189 birds), Black-and-white Warbler (182), Yellow Warbler (171), M=
agnolia Warbler (132), and Canada Warbler (116). It seems almost unbelievab=
le that Canada Warbler, a species at risk, would be the fifth most abundant=
 bird this week. Its spectrogram is one of the most unmistakable of all nig=
ht flight calls. Canada Warbler has been increasing every year that I have =
been monitoring in Southwest Nova Scotia. Compared to this week in 2018, th=
e estimated number of Canada Warblers increased by 43 birds or by 59%. <br>
&gt;&gt; Overall, the total number of flight calls increased by 17% compare=
d to the same week last year at Beaver River and by 6% in total estimated b=
irds. The number of estimated birds that increased compared to last year we=
re American Redstart (+13%), Black-and-white Warbler (+107%), Yellow Warble=
r (+22%), Magnolia Warbler (+9%), Bay-breasted Warbler (+188%), Blackburnia=
n Warbler (+16%), and Northern Waterthrush (+66%). Only the Chestnut-sided =
Warbler declined significantly (-51%). A total of 18 warbler species were r=
ecorded during the week.<br>
&gt;&gt; There were very small numbers of sparrows (4 in total) but a Nelso=
n=E2=80=99s Sparrow was unusual for this early in the migration. Small numb=
ers of 5 species of shorebirds were recorded. The first Swainson=E2=80=99s =
Thrush of the autumn migration was noted on the morning of 15 August.<br>
&gt;&gt; See my webpage for more information and look for NFC Station Beave=
r River on eBird.<br>
&gt;&gt; John<br>
&gt; <br>

--00000000000003bcb805909d25bc--