[NatureNS] Study about Monarch migration

Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 11:42:14 -0300
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi,
  Only the abstract of the University of Chicago article about Monarchs is free. However, Andy Davis at the University of Georgia has a Blog describing the reasearch. See his June 24 Blog on his website http://monarchscience.org . I would recommend reading many of his other blogs about Monarch Science. (There are several about Nova Scotia there)

 There has been some reservations about the rearing of Monarchs being of value to migrations for several years now. This article emphasizes that commercial Monarchs are different. I think there has to be a more definitive experiments about the eclosing indoors effecting the migration pattern of the Monarch. In the experiment, they placed the pupae in an incubator.

 Alison and I rear our Monarchs on the plants where we found them and let them wander at will, and only restricting them when they reach 5th instar. Our enclosure is large and near large windows with natural light.

 This year we are bringing fewer inside and flagging chysalis in the field and monitoring them. A large fraction of them get into trouble from predation and attaching to things like grass and dead leaves that fall off plants. In those cases we rescue and allow them to eclose inside by attaching them to study supports. At the moment we have nearly 50 chrysalis flagged in the field and have released over 50 reared inside. We have at least over 50 in caterpillar stages.

 We saw a greater return of Monarch butterflies this year although the were late due to the cool June. The Monarchs are a couple weeks behind where they were last year and there will not be two generations reared this year.

I will give a more completer report later.
Regards,
Larry

--
Larry Bogan