[NatureNS] Pewee imm. and Hummer

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 20:19:39 -0300

These past two days there has been a mini-migration of birds working their
way through our woods.  One could see bodies flitting through the trees and
hear chirps.  Some warblers and vireos, not sure what else might have been
amongst them but yesterday as I was sitting by an open patio door with my
coffee, I could hear the faint calls of a possible Eastern Wood-Pewee, as if
it couldn't quite make its pewee calls... so I whistled to see if it would
answer, and imagine my delight when the Pewee flew into sight and landed on
an unoccupied old metal hanging basket post about 40 ft from me and
continued to squeak a version of his flycatcher song. It appeared to be a
young male trying to find its 'voice', maybe a fledgling straggler from our
residential Pewee family?  It mostly sat with its back to me, still
practicing parts of his song notes with squeaks and odd notes, only turning
around once.  It was well aware of me watching but remained there for almost
15 mins. We could hear the movement and calls of other birds in the trees.
Eventually it left but I could still hear its odd notes as it left the area
with other migrants...

A number of years ago I remember waking up just before dawn, and heard an
adult EWPE teaching its offspring their song phrases. First the adult would
sing a phrase and then the youngster would have its turn... lots of squeaks
and halting notes... this went on for quite a while and I found it magical.
Never been lucky like that again.

Our single hummer is still here (Wolfville Ridge), enjoying the Cardinal
flowers.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts