[NatureNS] Reply to Wayne Neily post of Sept 27

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 21:30:20 -0300

Hello:

     I wish to comment in particular on Wayne's first line---

"On this Climate day of action, this is a useful reminder that we all
need to take action."

     I replied directly to his post but it was rejected because the
total size was too long. And having had nearly a week to think about it
I will modify my original reply somewhat.

Hi Wayne & All,

     I will stop short of a full scale sermon but one of the best ways,
in my view, is to drive less and enrich your yard, if you are fortunate
enough to have one. Climate change is a product of fossil fuel
consumption so overcoming that urge to reach the horizon is a first step.

     By simply letting a yard grow wild, with intervention only when
some plant threatens to dominate some significant area you will soon
have more natural diversity within sight of your doorstep than you will
ever have time to learn in one lifetime.

     I do nearly all mowing is with a scythe so it is possible to be
selective; I mow areas of large plants which have gone to seed or are
becoming too abundant before they set seed  so the understory plants
have more light and water. And carry some mowing to a compost pile if
necessary so other plants are not smothered.

     But several conditions apply-- one should not normally put "yard
waste" in the "green bin". Yard waste is fodder for a range of life
forms so fall leaves are shredded with the lawn mower so they don't blow
away and piled with branches and other coarse material near the all
purpose compost pile. When kitchen waste is taken out to the compost
pile in a cup of newspaper only the waste goes to the compost pile and
the paper goes to the green bin. The green bin gets this paper and
vacuum cleaner dust and is emptied once or twice a year. And within that
diversity I include anything which respires; microscopic organisms to
trees.

     It helps to have tiers of firewood in the yard year round because
runners eventually decay and become part of the food chain. But in
addition I make a point of leaving wood, bark, branch fragments sawdust
etc. scattered on the ground where it will not be in the way so that it
can gradually become part of the soil profile while nourishing fungal
hyphae, insects etc. And e.g. rotting wood can sprout something like a
stand of  Myxomycete spore columns, or Phallogaster saccatus or humus
rich soil can nourish a stand of birds nest fungi.

     I see far more fleshy fungi and mosses in the yard than I have time
to ID these days; partly due to many other demands. And as one might
expect there is some churning-- some easily ID vascular plant will
appear, stick around a few years and then be replaced by something else.

     Keeping track of yard insects has unfortunately become less
demanding because some can not cope with strange weather, bug zappers
and other unknown adverse forces. A few years ago, in warm calm weather
I would see many copies of 5-10 kinds of Hover Flies in a brief walk
around the yard. Now seeing one individual is an event.

     Not so many years ago, when driving on a warm evening before
windshield washers came along , one had to stop at intervals and wipe
the bug juice off of the windshield.

     And not so many years ago one would usually  hear Nighthawks
bleeping overhead in Kentville in warm weather. There are no doubt many
reasons for the decline in insect numbers but I suspect the nonoculture
lawn is partly to blame. I call it nonoculture because even the lawn
grass is not allowed to go to seed. And seeds for many small animals are
a vital food supply.

     A second effective way is to combat climate change is to heat your
house with selectively cut firewood. This also decreases fossil fuel use
while giving otherwise overstocked trees a better opportunity to grow
and fix carbon. Those much admired 'Old Growth' hollow trees likely
release more Carbon than they fix per year.

     End of sermon;  Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville