[NatureNS] A flurry of Owl feathers

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 12:56:17 -0300

--------------C45F1C9A239574B30233B8DB

Hi Paul & All

     Your mention of a Midge hatch brought to mind a fishing trip too
many decades ago. I tied flies then and liked to experiment with
designs. So I tied a dry Midge fly on a #16 hook, entirely black as I
recall with abdomen represented by fine Stren line dyed black and wound
around the shank.

     At a seldom fished lake (4 hours walk from road) up to my knees in
water late one evening,  trout were rising all around but ignored one
fly after another. So I tried my Midge and hooked a trout on nearly
every cast.

     A very effective wet fly was too simple to work but it did,
especially when there was some wave chop; One back feather from a Grouse
with 2 mm of tip projecting past the bend wound on the shank and tied.

Yt, DW, Kentville

On 10/2/2019 9:26 AM, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
> Hi All
> Yesterday was a fine day for a paddle on the Lahave.
> No wind or waves made it lovely for a friend and I.
> About 5 we went ashore for a break and a little lunch.
> As we stood talking a commotion of Crows approached.
> They were chasing an Owl and were not in good humour
> judging by their calls. As the parade went overhead about tree height
> one of the crows dived the owl and struck it in the back.
> That loosened a bunch of feathers and as there was no wind
> the feathers drifted down to us like a flurry of big snowflakes.
> Perhaps 15 to 20 they were a beautiful small grey feathers.
> After the parade went by the owl flew into a grove of thick trees.
> The crows milled about for a little, declared victory and then went of
> about other business.
> Earlier a vulture flew high, very high over head. Going from North to
> South
> very fast. It could scan a lot of country from that height.
> In the afternoon as the day warmed Dragon flies started out. Several
> different
> species.  There was a few Caddis flies laying eggs on the water. Again
> my knowledge of Caddis flies does not extend to iding species. And after
> sundown a hatch of midges came off the water. Small fellows but lots
> of them.
> So many insects.
> Darkness ended a good day so we went ashore.
> Enjoy a fall canoe trip
> Paul

--------------C45F1C9A239574B30233B8DB

  <head>
  </head>
      too many decades ago. I tied flies then and liked to experiment
      with designs. So I tied a dry Midge fly on a #16 hook, entirely
      black as I recall with abdomen represented by fine Stren line dyed
      black and wound around the shank. <br>
      knees in water late one evening,  trout were rising all around but
      ignored one fly after another. So I tried my Midge and hooked a
      trout on nearly every cast.</p>
      especially when there was some wave chop; One back feather from a
      Grouse with 2 mm of tip projecting past the bend wound on the
      shank and tied.</p>
      rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:<br>
cite="mid:2000809371.651604.1570019201243.open-xchange@webmail.bellaliant.net">
          a paddle on the Lahave.</span> </div>
          lovely for a friend and I.</span> </div>
          break and a little lunch.</span> </div>
          commotion of Crows approached. </span> </div>
          were not in good humour</span> </div>
          the parade went overhead about tree height </span> </div>
          owl and struck it in the back.</span> </div>
          feathers and as there was no wind</span> </div>
          us like a flurry of big snowflakes.</span> </div>
          beautiful small grey feathers.</span> </div>
          owl flew into a grove of thick trees.</span> </div>
          little, declared victory and then went of</span> </div>
          very high over head. Going from North to South</span>