[NatureNS] Tree Swallow box report 2019

From: Parker Donham <parker@donham.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 04:11:59 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000c5d2ee059607554e

Hi Fritz,

In the past, I've had good luck with an ovoid opening on swallow boxes,
slightly more than 1-1/2" wide and less than 1-1/2" high. Swallows with
their small heads and broad shoulders can squeeze through this, while
squirrels cannot. This usually worked to keep squirrels out. On occasion,
squirrels did chew a wider opening, so what might be ideal is some sort of
sheet metal guard with a hole 1-3/4" wide and 1-1/4" high.

Great that you hosted so many. Tree swallows seem to be disappearing as
former hay fields and meadows grow up in brush.

Parker

On Mon., Oct. 28, 2019, 10:42 p.m. Fritz McEvoy, <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>        I cleaned out my Tree Swallow boxes last week and the results were
> surprising good. Twenty-seven boxes were set up this season and most had
> activity of some kind. The results were:
>   27 boxes were used (1 is listed twice as it contained both a Red
> Squirrel and Tree Swallow next).
>   18 boxes contained Tree Swallow nests with signs of breeding (all had
> droppings, 2 contained egg fragments and 1 had a dead fledge). This was the
> largest number of successful nests I've ever had here.
>    5 boxes had Flying Squirrel roosts/nests and one of those had an active
> Flying Squirrel inside.
>    2 boxes had Red Squirrel roosts (one was on top of a Tree Swallow nest)
>    3 boxes were empty
>       All the boxes had predator guards (3" plexi squares with an 1-1/2"
> entrance hole). Obviously these were somewhat unsuccessful in keeping out
> squirrels - the only pest I am concerned about. The predator guards were
> undamaged so the 1-1/2" hole size must be too big. I expect they keep out
> pregnant Red Squirrels but allow in small Red Squirrels and most Flying
> Squirrels. An 1-1/2" is the standard size given for Tree Swallow boxes -
> and for similar commercial predator guards. I'm pretty sure remaking the
> guards with an 1-3/8" hole would keep out most - if not all squirrels.  The
> problem is would it also likely keep out pregnant Tree Swallows? It's
> probably something that should be researched, tested and written up
> about out by someone - just not me.
>       The weather was similar to 2018 - cold and wet in June but mostly
> hot in July. I didn't notice a large number of swallows in the area this
> summer. In fact the numbers seemed low to me. So it was quite surprising
> when 2/3 of the boxes had Tree Swallow nests with breeding evidence. Maybe
> the Tree Swallow decline in this area  is not as bad as I thought. We will
> see if next season proves just as successful as this year.
>     All the best.
>       Fritz McEvoy
>       Sunrise Valley (near Dingwall) CB

--000000000000c5d2ee059607554e

 the past, I&#39;ve had good luck with an ovoid opening on swallow boxes, s=
lightly more than 1-1/2&quot; wide and less than 1-1/2&quot; high. Swallows=
 with their small heads and broad shoulders can squeeze through this, while=
 squirrels cannot. This usually worked to keep squirrels out. On occasion, =
squirrels did chew a wider opening, so what might be ideal is some sort of =
sheet metal guard with a hole 1-3/4&quot; wide and 1-1/4&quot; high.</div><=
 Tree swallows seem to be disappearing as former hay fields and meadows gro=
r">On Mon., Oct. 28, 2019, 10:42 p.m. Fritz McEvoy, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:f=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #=
ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
Hi All,=C2=A0<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0 I cleaned out my Tree Swallow boxes last week an=
d the results were surprising good. Twenty-seven boxes were set up this sea=
son and most had activity of some kind. The results were:=C2=A0<br>
=C2=A0 27 boxes were used (1 is listed twice as it contained both a Red Squ=
irrel and Tree Swallow next).<br>
=C2=A0 18 boxes contained Tree Swallow nests with signs of breeding (all ha=
d droppings, 2 contained egg fragments and 1 had a dead fledge). This was t=
he largest number of successful nests I&#39;ve ever had here.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A05 boxes had Flying Squirrel roosts/nests and one of those had =
an active Flying Squirrel inside.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A02 boxes had Red Squirrel roosts (one was on top of a Tree Swal=
low nest)<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A03 boxes were empty<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0All the boxes had predator guards (3&quot; plexi =
squares with an 1-1/2&quot; entrance hole). Obviously these were somewhat u=
nsuccessful in keeping out squirrels - the only pest I am concerned about. =
The predator guards were undamaged so the 1-1/2&quot; hole size must be too=
=C2=A0big. I expect they keep out pregnant Red Squirrels but allow in small=
 Red Squirrels and most Flying Squirrels. An 1-1/2&quot; is the standard si=
ze given for Tree Swallow=C2=A0boxes - and for similar commercial predator =
guards. I&#39;m pretty sure remaking the guards with an 1-3/8&quot; hole wo=
uld keep out most - if not all squirrels.=C2=A0 The problem is would it als=
o likely keep out pregnant Tree Swallows? It&#39;s probably something that =
should be researched, tested and written up about=C2=A0out by someone - jus=
t not me.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 The weather was similar to 2018 - cold and wet in June=
 but mostly hot in July. I didn&#39;t notice a large number of swallows in =
the area this summer. In fact the numbers seemed low to me. So it was quite=
 surprising when 2/3 of the boxes had Tree Swallow nests with breeding evid=
ence. Maybe the Tree Swallow decline in this area=C2=A0 is not as bad as I =
thought. We will see if next season proves just as successful as this year.=
=C2=A0=C2=A0<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 All the best. <br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Fritz McEvoy<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Sunrise Valley (near Dingwall) CB<br>

--000000000000c5d2ee059607554e--

pr