[NatureNS] Insect tunnels

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 09:45:48 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A large old poplar near to the camp died over last winter and I finally had it cut down yesterday. Chunks from about 3-4’ up from the base (~1’ diameter) have these neat insect tunnels around the perimeter. There are none in the smaller pieces from higher up.The entrance/exit seemed to be in the bark furrows but was not visible to my eyes. Not sure what made them, possibly wasp or beetle larvae. Someone may know from the pattern shown?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/49032721638/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/49033446997/in/dateposted/

Nancy D
E Dalhousie, Kings