[NatureNS] Turkey Vulture

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 22:38:31 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

          Brier Island, with the range
I see Vultures over my place almost every day - I'm at Round Hill
beside Round Hill River (that's a few kilometres west of Bridgetown).
They fly over my place on their way out onto the Pré Rond peninsula
where there is a very large poultry farm.  I believe it is mainly a
Turkey operation.  I haven't checked into this, but I suspect they
must dispose of dead birds somewhere on their property on a regular
basis as the Vultures seem to go over my place around the same time
each day.  I now have Eagles around my place too.  They seem to be
living upstream on Round Hill River and fly along the river heading
out to the peninsula and nearby Belle Isle Marsh.  I suspect they may
also be going to the poultry farm.  Over a year ago, I photographed an
eagle flying upstream over the river.  It had quite a large young
goose that it was carrying by the throat.  I didn't actually see that
until I was editing the photo.  I am guessing it caught the goose at
Belle Isle Marsh as it was coming from that direction.  I'm seeing
more Eagles lately.  A few months ago, there was an immature Eagle
sitting on the limb of one of the Black Locusts on my property,
savagely ripping apart a large piece of carrion -- what looked to be
the leg of a deer.  On Sunday, I stepped out the front door of my
place with the dogs and flushed a mature Eagle that must have been
perched in that tree in my yard.  It flew in slow circles above my
lawn before flying off up the river.  I have been concerned that the
presence of Eagles would disturb the Osprey that nest on the power
corridor towers above Round Hill Cemetery which is across the road
from my place.  The Osprey have been there for many years.  However,
they were nesting there again this year, so at least they have not
left the area.  I quite enjoy seeing them fly over my place carrying
fish that they must catch either in Round Hill River or out on the
Annapolis River.

bev
Round Hill