[NatureNS] Christmas cactus

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.103]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 17:19:11 -0400

Dear All,

     I have three Christmas cacti. For two years in a row the one in the
dining room, which briefly gets sun in the morning, has come into
blossom at about Christmas with relatively few blossoms.

     But the two in my bedroom have come much earlier (early Nov.) have
been loaded with flowers and briefly get afternoon sun. One is many
years older than the dining room plant and one is several years younger.

     My bedroom  has a beetle collection which receives
paradichlorobenzene once a year; usually late winter. And likely has
methane at times. Can either of these induce flowering in Christmas
cactus ?

     It may just be temperature. The house is usually heated by wood
only and the dining will typically be warmer than the bedroom in
fall/winter.

YT. DW, Kentville