[NatureNS] Christmas cactus

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 13:07:08 -0400

ll Dave they
--------------F0AD50C1DAC71ACD2EFD5A46

Another 2 cents worth:  I think temperature is the main factor in
getting them to bloom.  In recent years my huge one has been spending
the spring, summer and fall on a N. facing porch.  I only bring it
inside when frost threatens.  It is usually covered with buds when I
bring it in.  Then I put it in a W. facing window in a cool room and it
blooms like crazy.  If I put it in a warm room the buds all fall off,
sun or no sun.

Lois Codling

On 12/19/2019 10:28 AM, David Patriquin wrote:

> Paul Brunelle wrote an informative article on "Recognition and Culture
> of the Holiday Cacti". See Paul's Notes at
> www.versicolor.ca/paulsnotes/paul.html
> <http://www.versicolor.ca/paulsnotes/paul.html>
>

> Says Paul "I have found, over the years, that the very best treatment
> for the health of the plants, and especially for plentiful,
> correctly-timed flowers, is to place the plants outside in dappled or
> light shade, from after the last frost in Spring, to before the first
> frost in the Fall. Here in the Halifax area, my holiday cacti go
> outside about June 10, and are brought in about September 15. Direct
> sunlight must never reach them, except in Winter..."
>

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 10:09 AM <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca
> <mailto:dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Profusion of blooms and time of blooming might have something to
>     do with the age of the plant.  Also for Clivia.  Our cactus gets
>     western light and blooms but not profusely.  A friend has one that
>     gets little natural light.  It blooms beautifully.  Another friend
>     has hers in the SE window and it also blooms profusely.
>
>     Perhaps it has more to do with the plant’s genetics?

  <head>
  </head>
    Another 2 cents worth:  I think temperature is the main factor in
    getting them to bloom.  In recent years my huge one has been
    spending the spring, summer and fall on a N. facing porch.  I only
    bring it inside when frost threatens.  It is usually covered with
    buds when I bring it in.  Then I put it in a W. facing window in a
    cool room and it blooms like crazy.  If I put it in a warm room the
    buds all fall off, sun or no sun.<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAL3E_qKrQzqRdhyOmXw6iYUipseURtiJ764A8K_rwYp9-c=hrQ@mail.gmail.com">
style="margin:0px;font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretch:normal;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana">Paul
          Brunelle wrote an informative article on "Recognition and
          Culture of the Holiday Cacti". See Paul's Notes at <a
            href="http://www.versicolor.ca/paulsnotes/paul.html"
            moz-do-not-send="true">www.versicolor.ca/paulsnotes/paul.html</a></p>
style="margin:0px;font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretch:normal;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana"><br>
style="margin:0px;font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretch:normal;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana">Says
          Paul "<span
            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times;font-size:medium">I
            have found, over the years, that the very best treatment for
            the health of the plants, and especially for plentiful,
            correctly-timed flowers, is to place the plants outside in
            dappled or light shade, from after the last frost in Spring,
            to before the first frost in the Fall. Here in the Halifax
            area, my holiday cacti go outside about June 10, and are
            brought in about September 15. </span><font
            style="font-family:Times;font-size:medium" color="#FF0000">Direct
            sunlight must never reach them</font><span
            style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times;font-size:medium">,
            except in Winter..."</span></p>
          AM &lt;<a href="mailto:dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca"
            moz-do-not-send="true">dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                  blooms and time of blooming might have something to do
                  with the age of the plant.  Also for Clivia.  Our
                  cactus gets western light and blooms but not
                  profusely.  A friend has one that gets little natural
                  light.  It blooms beautifully.  Another friend has
                  hers in the SE window and it also blooms profusely.</span></p>
                  more to do with the plant’s genetics?</span></p>
style="border-right:none;border-bottom:none;border-left:none;border-top:1pt
                  solid rgb(225,225,225);padding:3pt 0cm 0cm">
                      lang="EN-US"> <a
                        href="mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>
                      <b>On Behalf Of </b><a
                        href="mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a><br>
                      <b>To:</b> <a
                        href="mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a><br>
                    Dave they are controlled by the length of day light
                    they get.</span> </p>
                    is a name for it which I forget. Mums are the same
                    way</span> </p>
                    important for folks who produce flowers but for the
                    most</span> </p>
                    we are happy when they do flower.</span> </p>
                    the nice snow</span> </p>
                  &gt; On December 18, 2019 at 5:19 PM David Webster
                  &lt;<a href="mailto:dwebster@glinx.com"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt;
                  wrote: <br>
                  &gt; <br>
                  &gt; <br>
                  &gt; Dear All, <br>
                  &gt; <br>
                  &gt;     I have three Christmas cacti. For two years
                  in a row the one in the <br>
                  &gt; dining room, which briefly gets sun in the
                  morning, has come into <br>
                  &gt; blossom at about Christmas with relatively few
                  blossoms. <br>
                  &gt; <br>
                  &gt;     But the two in my bedroom have come much
                  earlier (early Nov.) have <br>
                  &gt; been loaded with flowers and briefly get
                  afternoon sun. One is many <br>
                  &gt; years older than the dining room plant and one is
                  several years younger. <br>
                  &gt; <br>
                  &gt;     My bedroom  has a beetle collection which
                  receives <br>
                  &gt; paradichlorobenzene once a year; usually late
                  winter. And likely has <br>
                  &gt; methane at times. Can either of these induce
                  flowering in Christmas <br>
                  &gt; cactus ? <br>
                  &gt; <br>
                  &gt;     It may just be temperature. The house is
                  usually heated by wood <br>
                  &gt; only and the dining will typically be warmer than
                  the bedroom in <br>
                  &gt; fall/winter. <br>
                  &gt; <br>
                  &gt; YT. DW, Kentville <br>