[NatureNS] Some totally pointless calculations

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Peter Payzant <peter@payzant.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 09:58:22 -0400

If we take the time of the autumn solstice as marking the start of
Winter, and the time of the spring equinox as marking the end of Winter,
a few minutes on a spreadsheet can yield some pointless but cheering dates.

The autumn solstice last year was December the 22nd at 04:19 (UTC).
The spring equinox this year will be on March 20 at 03:50 (UTC).

 From these we can calculate that winter (defined this way) will be
almost exactly 89 days long this year. We also get

Winter 1/3 over: January 20 at 2009 UTC, or 4:09 pm AST.

Winter 1/2 over: February 4 at 1604 UTC, or 12:04 pm AST

Winter 2/3 over: February 19 at 1034 UTC, 6:34 am AST

Anyway, some time this afternoon, winter will be 1/3 over.

--- Peter Payzant