[NatureNS] Iceland Gull or Kumliens Gull

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 14:26:58 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0000000000004846ce059db01221

Hi Paul,

In eBird the Iceland Gull and Kumliens Gull is treated as the same species.
Most of the Iceland Gulls seen in NS are of the Kumliens form. The European
race Glaucoides is more rare in NS. Your description fits for Iceland Gull
and we would assume that it is Kumliens, until the geneticists find other
reasons to split or lump the species. The descrpition that you have given
does rule out Glaucous Gull, a species larger than Herring Gull and the
wings just reach the tail tip, not protruding past the tail. As well the
Glaucous Gull has a massive bill that in the immature bird would be half
black at the tip and half light toward the head.

Great sighting, many would overlook the gulls as just scavengers along the
shore, but upon inspection there can be some interesting species and races
of species that show up in NS!

Enjoying the Winter,
George Forsyth

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 at 10:34, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca <
rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi All
> At Gold River on the Gull Point on Thursday I saw a gull
> I'm not sure of the ID.
> it is a first cycle gull and could be an Iceland Gull or a Kumlien's Gull
> with almost  white wings. It is smaller than the numerous Herring Gulls.
> A black bill showing  a bit of pink at the base. The body is cram coloored
> with brown speckles. Legs pink and long wings well beyond the tail feathers
> while sitting. The bird was having a bath and spread its wings once
> so I got  a good look at the colors.
> An interesting bird.
> Enjoy the winter
> Paul

--0000000000004846ce059db01221

d Gull and Kumliens Gull is treated as the same species. Most of the Icelan=
d Gulls seen in NS are of the Kumliens form. The European race Glaucoides i=
s more rare in NS. Your description fits for Iceland Gull and we would assu=
me that it is Kumliens, until the geneticists find other reasons to split o=
r lump the species. The descrpition that you have given does rule out Glauc=
ous Gull, a species larger than Herring Gull and the wings just reach the t=
ail tip, not protruding past the tail. As well the Glaucous Gull has a mass=
ive bill that in the immature bird would be half black at the tip and half =
overlook the gulls as just scavengers along the shore, but upon inspection =
there can be some interesting species and races of species that show up in =
il_attr">On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 at 10:34, <a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympat=
ico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sy=
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px soli=
d rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>
   =20
=20
 =20
=20
=20
ay I saw a gull</span>
Iceland Gull or a Kumlien&#39;s Gull</span>
ler than the numerous Herring Gulls.</span>
at the base. The body is cram coloored</span>
ings well beyond the tail feathers</span>
 and spread its wings once</span>
=20

--0000000000004846ce059db01221--