[NatureNS] bird notes, March 22 to 31, 2020 -- eagle nests etc.

From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 11:59:09 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

      negative effect on other species in other counties, and possibly
--00000000000014655705a28c65d1

Hi John and all,

On a number of occasions I have witnessed Bald Eagles harassing Ospreys
after the latter had captured a fish. The eagle, flying high above the
osprey, would dive bomb the osprey causing the bird to drop the fish.  The
dive was "J" shaped, with the eagle turning up just before contact with the
osprey would have occurred. It would then have to turn and head down and go
after the fish. In a spectacular display of speed and maneuverability, I
have seen the eagle catch the fish in its talon before the fish hit the
water! In fairness, though, I have also seen them miss.

While the Bald Eagle understandably has the reputation of being a lumbering
flyer who prefers feeding of carrion, they are very capable predators with
impressive flying abilities, in both speed and maneuverability.

Growing up on PEI  in the 60's and early 70's, I never saw a Bald Eagle.
Not a single one! This is quite a contrast with the situation today where I
see eagles on a regular basis when visiting PEI.

As for their impact on other species, I started visiting parts of
Antigonish and Guysborough counties in the late 70's. In the early years, I
saw many ospreys, while eagles were few and far between. These days, I go
to that area of the province much more infrequently, however the relative
abundance of these species appears to have reversed. I frequently see Bald
Eagles, while I rarely see ospreys. Obviously this is anecdotal only, but I
would love to see actual figures.

I also remember reading that the increase in eagle numbers had a negative
impact on the seabird colonies on the Bird Islands off Cape Breton. I am
hoping someone can add details to this.

Stay safe

Ron

--
Ronald G. Arsenault
Halifax, Nova Scotia

--00000000000014655705a28c65d1

John and all,</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">=
=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">On a num=
ber of occasions I have witnessed Bald Eagles harassing Ospreys after the l=
atter had captured a fish. The eagle, flying high above the osprey, would d=
ive bomb the osprey causing the bird to drop the fish.=C2=A0 The dive was &=
quot;J&quot; shaped, with the eagle turning up just before contact with the=
 osprey would have occurred. It would then have to turn and head down and g=
o after the fish. In a=C2=A0spectacular display of speed and maneuverabilit=
y, I have seen the eagle catch the fish in its talon before the fish hit th=
e water! In fairness, though, I have also seen them miss.</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_=
default" style=3D"font-size:large">While the Bald Eagle understandably has =
the reputation of being a lumbering flyer who prefers feeding of carrion, t=
hey are very capable predators with impressive flying abilities, in both sp=
eed and maneuverability.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"f=
ont-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:l=
arge">Growing up on PEI=C2=A0 in the 60&#39;s and early 70&#39;s, I never s=
aw a Bald Eagle. Not a single one! This is quite a contrast with the situat=
ion today where I see eagles on a regular basis when visiting PEI.</div><di=
v class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D=
"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">As for their impact on other spec=
ies, I started visiting parts of Antigonish and Guysborough counties in the=
 late 70&#39;s. In the early years, I saw many ospreys, while eagles were f=
ew and far between. These days, I go to that area of the province much more=
 infrequently, however the relative abundance of these species appears to h=
ave reversed. I frequently see Bald Eagles, while I rarely see ospreys. Obv=
iously this is anecdotal only, but I would love to see actual figures.</div=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">I also remember reading that =
the increase in eagle numbers had a negative impact on the seabird colonies=
 on the Bird Islands off Cape Breton. I am hoping someone can add details t=
iv><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">Stay safe</div><d=
iv class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large"><br>