[NatureNS] feeders

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 12:02:42 -0300

--------------E6B5E79851BD1B6D4E33C0E5

Our feeders are pretty quiet too.  We had a flicker yesterday that
perched on the side of our caged sunflower feeder and grabbed some
seeds.  A pair of cardinals are pretty regular as well as a few
chickadees and goldfinches.  A pair of the neighbourhood ravens came
into the yard the other day and we saw them pecking at a frozen dead
rat.  They ultimately carried it away.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 4/12/2020 10:22 AM, hubcove@aol.com wrote:

> A good selection of birds at the feeders to help with the boredom of
> isolation. I have a couple of feeders with seed and lots of smaller
> birds, mostly goldfinches, also a homemade feeder that has two suet
> holders side by side that is very popular with the WPs, bluejays and
> starlings among others. They are quite happy to share with different
> species either side of the suet holders. If a flicker shows up
> however, which one does from time to time it is a different story. It
> will immediately attack any other bird that tries to share the suet,
> usually WPs or starlings. We have flickers either side of the road
> during the summer but I had no idea they were so aggressive.
> Peter Stow
> Hubbards

--------------E6B5E79851BD1B6D4E33C0E5

  <head>
  </head>
      flicker yesterday that perched on the side of our caged sunflower
      feeder and grabbed some seeds.  A pair of cardinals are pretty
      regular as well as a few chickadees and goldfinches.  A pair of
      the neighbourhood ravens came into the yard the other day and we
      saw them pecking at a frozen dead rat.  They ultimately carried it
      away.<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:512651503.2892116.1586697753549@mail.yahoo.com">
          sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;">
              font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;"><br>
                at the feeders to help with the boredom of isolation. I
                have a couple of feeders with seed and lots of smaller
                birds, mostly goldfinches, also a homemade feeder that
                has two suet holders side by side that is very popular
                with the WPs, bluejays and starlings among others. They
                are quite happy to share with different species either
                side of the suet holders. If a flicker shows up however,
                which one does from time to time it is a different
                story. It will immediately attack any other bird that
                tries to share the suet, usually WPs or starlings. We
                have flickers either side of the road during the summer
              font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;"><span style="font-size:
              font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;"><span style="font-size:
                12pt;">Hubbards </span><br>

--------------E6B5E79851BD1B6D4E33C0E5--