[NatureNS] Lady bugs inside

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 19:14:22 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

            &amp;#
I'm see that I'm late to the party on the question of Lady Beetles.
The ones that are found in our houses are almost invariably the Asian
Lady Beetle (Harmonia axyridis).  This has probably been stated by
someone else.  I've rarely found any other species of native or
non-native Lady Beetle in my house.  They do tend to aggregate.  The
only other species I've seen in large aggregations is the native
species, Coleomegilla maculata, a sort of longish, narrow-bodied
beetle that is sometimes found in very large aggregations when you're
raking up leaf litter in the springtime.  There are at least three
non-native species of Lady Beetles here in Nova Scotia -- the Asian
Lady Beetle (Harmonia axyridis), the Seven-spotted Lady Beetle
(Coccinella septempunctata), and the Fourteen-spotted Lady Beetle
(Propylea quaduordecimpunctata.  There are quite a number of native
species - I won't list them here.
Regarding Donna's question about whether the non-native species like
H. axyridis might eat certain destructive insects on trees, mostly
likely they will.  I've watched Asian Lady Beetles eat all kinds of
insects, especially aphids, but just about anything they can find  in
the woods back at my farm in Ontario.  They were kept particularly
busy eating aphids and other insects on my Birch trees.
There are several native species that look rather similar to Asian
Lady Beetles, but as mentioned, we don't usually find them in our
houses.  Asian beetles are extremely variable - ranging from no spots,
to lots of spots, and from a pale orange through to a deep orange-red.
Regarding releasing them outdoors.  While it's true that they are
considered detrimental to our native Lady Beetles -- they compete for
the same foods and may even eat the small species or their nymphs, --
to be quite frank, there are so many gazillion Asian Lady Beetles on
the loose already that another handful of them out of someone's house
isn't going to make much difference one way or the other to the native
Lady Beetle population.  However, their release might well kill off a
lot of aphids in the yard or garden.
If you're curious about species, you could have a look at my Lady
Beetle gallery on Pbase.  There are a few of my photos of native and
non-native species posted there - including all of those species
mentioned above.
https://pbase.com/crocodile/lady_beetles

bev wigney
Round Hill, NS