[NatureNS] Report on observations

From: "John and Nhung" <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 11:49:09 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D61BC0.B2B70D20

The boss and I took a long walk this morning from chez nous on Wyman Road,
down the Ellis Road to the former CN Railway line, along that trail to the
Lewis Road and up the Lewis Road to the fence belonging to Yarmouth Airport.
The former railway track rises from the Ellis Road, turns through a patch of
spruce forest, then gently descends till it crosses a swampy area, drained
by a sluggish stream that runs from Yarmouth Airport to the Chebogue River.

Heard what I think was a white-throated sparrow on the Ellis Road in a
spruce forest.  The only thing that sounded strange what that the "Tom" part
of the "Tom-peabody" was the higher part of the note, consistently.
Probably just an aberrant individual.

Golden-crowned kinglet singing in the aforementioned spruce patch on the
railway track.

Lots of skunk cabbage growing in the swamp, especially near the culvert over
the abovementioned stream.  As I was looking at it, I noticed a movement.
Turned out to be a muskrat having a munch.  After its meal, it quietly dove
into the stream and did not reappear.

Mr. mallard quietly watched us from the same stream, just upstream of where
it crossed the Lewis Road.  I suspect his Mrs. was nearby, nesting.  Years
ago, I scared a pair of teal at the same place.

There were a few other bird songs but my recognition skills are too limited
to recognize what I was hearing.  A couple of kinds of warbler, including
the myrtle, at least.

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D61BC0.B2B70D20

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>The boss =
and I took a long walk this morning from chez nous on Wyman Road, down =
the Ellis Road to the former CN Railway line, along that trail to the =
Lewis Road and up the Lewis Road to the fence belonging to Yarmouth =
Airport.&nbsp; The former railway track rises from the Ellis Road, turns =
through a patch of spruce forest, then gently descends till it crosses a =
swampy area, drained by a sluggish stream that runs from Yarmouth =
Airport to the Chebogue River.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Heard what I =
think was a white-throated sparrow on the Ellis Road in a spruce =
forest.&nbsp; The only thing that sounded strange what that the =
&#8220;Tom&#8221; part of the &#8220;Tom-peabody&#8221; was the higher =
part of the note, consistently.&nbsp; Probably just an aberrant =
individual.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Golden-crowned kinglet singing in the aforementioned =
spruce patch on the railway track.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Lots of =
skunk cabbage growing in the swamp, especially near the culvert over the =
abovementioned stream.&nbsp; As I was looking at it, I noticed a =
movement.&nbsp; Turned out to be a muskrat having a munch.&nbsp; After =
its meal, it quietly dove into the stream and did not =
reappear.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Mr. mallard quietly watched us from the same stream, =
just upstream of where it crossed the Lewis Road.&nbsp; I suspect his =
Mrs. was nearby, nesting.&nbsp; Years ago, I scared a pair of teal at =
the same place.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>There were a =
few other bird songs but my recognition skills are too limited to =
recognize what I was hearing.&nbsp; A couple of kinds of warbler, =
------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D61BC0.B2B70D20--