[NatureNS] Tick (and Spruce Grouse)

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 09:33:21 -0300

day and longer cutting old shoots &lt;/p&gt;
--------------DAF9302F0F471A680A98D032

Hi Donald & All,

Perhaps it was just pleased to have some company for a change.

YT, DW, Kentville

On 5/7/2020 8:15 AM, Mundobirder@hotmail.com wrote:
> Stopped for a walk on a logging road off of the Walton Woods Road on
> Saturday. When we got back in the car and started driving my boys
> yelled “TICK!!!”  I stopped to fob a large female deer tick climbing
> on my 8 year olds pants. First (deer tick) of the year for us. We
> found a dog tick in Bedford on one of us after a hike in early March.
>
> Also interesting to note, when we pulled into the logging road and
> drove around the corner there was a straight stretch more than a
> kilometre long and right away we saw a Spruce Grouse on the road at
> the other end of the stretch. It saw us (maybe the daytime driving
> lights) and ran the complete kilometre to us fast as it could like a
> dog coming for supper. While we walked up the road it circled us the
> whole time staying with us. We walked the whole kilometre plus and
> back to the car with it circling around. Seems like a long way to come
> and then follow if it was trying to distract us from a nest. That bird
> ran well more than 4 kilometres in 45 minutes.
>
> Thank you,
> Donald
> Halifax
>
> On May 6, 2020, at 11:22 PM, Kevin Lantz <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca
> <mailto:klantz@ns.sympatico.ca>> wrote:
>
> I’d be interested in knowing the species and if others have had
> experiences similar to mine. I have pulled lots of Dog Ticks from just
> at the hair line on the back of my neck but have yet to find a BL tick
> attached there. For me it is more common to find them at the backs of
> the knees, in the groin area, under the arms and around the torso.
> Have even had one attached between my fingers so I suspect they are
> seeking areas where the skin is thinner.
>
> Kevin Lantz
>
> Front centre

> Windows 10

  <head>
  </head>
      Mundobirder@hotmail.com wrote:<br>
cite="mid:DM6PR06MB4937C556BE427C46CE7730F3B8A50@DM6PR06MB4937.namprd06.prod.outlook.com">
[...]
        more than 4 kilometres in 45 minutes. </div>
          On May 6, 2020, at 11:22 PM, Kevin Lantz &lt;<a
            href="mailto:klantz@ns.sympatico.ca" moz-do-not-send="true">klantz@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
            medium)">
/* Font Definitions */