[NatureNS] barn swallow questions

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 18:45:01 -0300

#39;Bookman Old Style&amp;#39;,&am
--------------CCEBACBA36E72409016FBC0A

Dear All,

     In the old beam, morticed and pin barns, which would last forever
if you kept rot out, it was common practice to keep the barn doors open
until haying time. So Swallows had ample entry.

YT, DW, Kentvile.

On 5/11/2020 12:31 PM, Lance Laviolette wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Historically, there were farmers who cut holes in their barn gables to
> provide access to the barn for Barn Swallows. I’ve seen photos of them
> as holes, semi circles and crosses. I’m sure they also provided a bit
> of venting of the barn.
>
> In *Birds of Massachusetts and Other New England States*(1929), Edward
> Howe Forbush wrote:
> If, when the Swallows arrive, they find the building closed in which
> they are accustomed to breed, they sometimes approach the house and
> fly about it, or about any inmate who appears, twittering and calling
> until someone takes pity on them and opens a door or window, when they
> immediately enter, showing their gratification by happy excited
> twittering. Many farmers cut a small hole in a barn gable to
> accommodate the birds.
>
> They probably were not always needed as many barns or farm structures
> were not as weather tight as they are now or they had a door to the
> hay loft that stayed open.
>
> I’ll send a photo in a direct post but all the apertures appear to
> offer about 15-20cm access points.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lance
>
> Lance Laviolette
>
> Glen Robertson, Ontario

  <head>
  </head>
      forever if you kept rot out, it was common practice to keep the
      barn doors open until haying time. So Swallows had ample entry. <br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:009801d627a9$3b8cae40$b2a60ac0$@ca">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Bookman Old Style";
	panose-1:2 5 6 4 5 5 5 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Arial Black";
	panose-1:2 11 10 4 2 1 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Hi
            Andy,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-fam