[NatureNS] Winning submissions to Biomimicry contest for Youth

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 12:55:34 -0300

D'&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class=3DMsoNormal&gt;&lt;s
--------------24DBBAB9BBEDC4CF4723CDC7

Hi John & All,

     After a long lapse; getting back to eutrophication.

     Nutrient rich waters tend to get bad press because, if some
limiting element (P usually) becomes high then blooms of usually toxic
(always ?) Blue Green algae are likely. They can fix N so, given ample
P, grow like weeds then, unlike weeds die, decay etc.

     But nutrient poor water is also undesirable; crystal clear water
devoid of life as in some glacial lakes. As with most matters, a
Goldilocks balance is desirable.

     There was a good article in American Scientist 65(2): 159-170,
1977; The Plant-Animal interface in// Freshwater Ecosystems; Karen Glaus
Porter and by good luck I found it.

      I was especially impressed by "In periods of peak zooplankton
abundance....the grazer community filtered the entire volume of water in
a eutrophic (nutrient rich) lake as many as 4.69 times (469%) during one
day." This was measured using C14.

     And yes the fertilized and mowed lawn right down to the water is an
effective way to mess up a lake. But nothing kills a small lake, with
small water flow, as efficiently as year round houses and septic tanks.

YT, DW, Kentville

YT, DW, Kentville

On 5/28/2020 5:24 AM, John and Nhung wrote:

> I followed the link, and  it does look interesting.
>
> I predict that eutrophication will be a growing problem here, as well,
> if summers get hotter and drier and predicted (Dare we say … as being
> experienced?”)  Our studies down here in God’s country over the years
> have been showing a positive relation between rainfall and water
> colour (which can be translated as dissolved humic material).   When
> rainfall is low, colour levels drop, and lakes appear susceptible to
> blooms at lower levels of nutrient.  Kinda makes sense: light
> penetration is greater when colour is lower and some of those organic
> molecules may react with nutrients.
>
> We suspect phosphorus of being a greater problem that nitrogen in our
> lakes, but the idea is still interesting.
>
> In the meantime, lake and river front property owners can help by
> leaving their shorelines the blazes alone.  Wild shorelines do a great
> job of absorbing nutrients and runoff, thereby controlling turbidity,
> as well.    Folks, those nice lawns going all the way down to the lake
> are a terrible idea, especially if you fertilize them!
>
> Something else to worry about:  The science of cyanotoxicology is
> evolving, but they keep discovering a growing number of very nasty
> toxins in blue-green algae.  The effects they have on us humans
> varies, but the mix includes carcinogens and some neurotoxins, for a
> start.
>
> Public education helps, and so do municipal by-laws.  But a lot more
> education is needed, and we need PROVINCIAL regulations to control the
> fun and games still being played on lake shores.  Regulations with
> consequences for both contractors and property owners.
>
> I could write a lot more but for God’s sake, keep lake shores wild!

  <head>
  </head>
      limiting element (P usually) becomes high then blooms of usually
      toxic (always ?) Blue Green algae are likely. They can fix N so,
      given ample P, grow like weeds then, unlike weeds die, decay etc.</p>
      water devoid of life as in some glacial lakes. As with most
      matters, a Goldilocks balance is desirable.<br>
      159-170, 1977; The Plant-Animal interface in<i> </i> Freshwater
      Ecosystems; Karen Glaus Porter and by good luck I found it. <br>
      zooplankton abundance....the grazer community filtered the entire
      volume of water in a eutrophic (nutrient rich) lake as many as
      4.69 times (469%) during one day." This was measured using C14. <br>
      is an effective way to mess up a lake. But nothing kills a small
      lake, with small water flow, as efficiently as year round houses
      and septic tanks. <br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:002d01d634c9$6b75ee50$4261caf0$@eastlink.ca">
        medium)">