[NatureNS] "Top court rules Nova Scotia broke endangered species

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 18:47:03 -0300

op:5pt;margin-bottom:5pt"&gt;&lt;p class=3D"MsoNormal"&gt;&lt;span style=3D"
--------------65DA0C28A011F096F3DBEBB6

Hi John & All,

     Pyrrhic or not, one should not be comfortable until the threat of
runaway climate change is on track for being neutralized with time to
spare. So far the record on that front has been consistently negative.
If that is not effectively dealt with then everything goes down the
drain. I understand the sun is about to experience a brief cooler period
but, as things are going, that spare time is needed.

     In any case rare species are just ornamental, in that being sparse
they don't pay their way in the ecosystem economy.

     The enormous loss in numbers of once common animals, e.g. frogs and
toads, mostly due to habitat loss/degradation, is far more serious. In
the 50's, e.g. many secondary roads had a necklace of vernal pools for
tadpole rearing on both sides. With urban sprawl and road 'improvement'
these became history. And so on and so on.

YT, DW, Kentville

On 6/1/2020 9:21 AM, John Kearney wrote:

> This decision may be a pyrrhic victory as our forests, agricultural
> land, and wetlands continue to be pillaged by industry and
> recreational activities. We will see if a recovery plan written on
> paper will have any effect on saving wildlife. Despite having a Canada
> Warbler recovery team in place, the provincial government recently
> approved the expansion of a quarry in Annapolis County right up to the
> boundary of a wetland with nesting Canada Warblers. In this case, the
> project may not destroy their nests, but what kind of breeding success
> can we expect when it takes place so close to dynamite blasting.

  <head>
  </head>
      threat of runaway climate change is on track for being neutralized
      with time to spare. So far the record on that front has been
      consistently negative. If that is not effectively dealt with then
      everything goes down the drain. I understand the sun is about to
      experience a brief cooler period but, as things are going, that
      spare time is needed.<br>
      sparse they don't pay their way in the ecosystem economy. <br>
      frogs and toads, mostly due to habitat loss/degradation, is far
      more serious. In the 50's, e.g. many secondary roads had a
      necklace of vernal pools for tadpole rearing on both sides. With
      urban sprawl and road 'improvement' these became history. And so
      on and so on. <br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000c01d6380f$2da9b590$88fd20b0$@gmail.com">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style>
            style="font-size:12.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">This