[NatureNS] World Environment Day June 5

ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none;
From: "Wayne P. Neily" <Neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
CC: "Chris.dentremont@parl.gc.ca" <Chris.dentremont@parl.gc.ca>,
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 12:53:50 +0000

--_000_YQXPR0101MB11260F04D5B8AE20C160D1EED1860YQXPR0101MB1126_

Happy 50th World Environment Day everyone.

At least, most of us have made it to another one, although the earth is loo=
king rather beaten up.  It would be good if we could get back to the level =
of interest and concern of the 1970s and early 1980s when each province and=
 the federal government had an environmental advisory council, and when eco=
logical concern was widespread and went beyond the concept of climate chang=
e.

The idea of Limits to Growth had been advanced by the Club of Rome, interna=
tional cooperation on the issues had been organized, in large part thanks t=
o the efforts of Canadian Maurice Strong, and the planning and framework fo=
r what was called "sustainable development" were developed mainly by Norway=
's Prime Minister Brundtland and the Round Tables set up following her plan=
.  Unfortunately, big business came back with a vengeance in the 1990s, man=
y of these gains were lost, EIAs greatly limited and reduced in effectivene=
ss, and funding cut for many programmes.

Thanks to climate change concern, there has been a limited recovery, but me=
dia and governments still try to convince us that ever-increasing populatio=
ns, ever-increasing use of resources, and production of products that becom=
e garbage are the keys to a healthy economy.  I will believe that we are ma=
king progress when I hear stable economies being praised, rather than being=
 called "stagnant".  Clean air, clean water, healthy soil and ecosystems an=
d preservation of areas of natural biodiversity are MORE important than get=
ting rich.

The theme this year is biodiversity, and in NS we had at least the good new=
s from the courts that our government has to follow some of its legislation=
 that relates to this.

For real progress we need efforts by all who care about the future and abou=
t nature.  As my old signature block said, we need to do Environmental Impa=
ct Assessments for all actions, plans, and decisions, not only at all gover=
nment levels, but as individuals, even if they are only momentary ones made=
 while shopping.  We will not always be right, but the more we learn and th=
e more we do them, the better for the environment.

Wayne Neily

Tremont, Nova Scotia

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>d

--_000_YQXPR0101MB11260F04D5B8AE20C160D1EED1860YQXPR0101MB1126_

<head>

</head>
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
Happy 50th World Environment Day everyone.</div>
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
At least, most of us have made it to another one, although the earth is loo=
king rather beaten up.&nbsp; It would be good if we could get back to the l=
evel of interest and concern of the 1970s and early 1980s when each provinc=
e and the federal government had an environmental
 advisory council, and when ecological concern was widespread and went beyo=
nd the concept of climate change.</div>
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
The idea of Limits to Growth had been advanced by the Club of Rome, interna=
tional cooperation on the issues had been organized, in large part thanks t=
o the efforts of Canadian Maurice Strong, and the planning and framework fo=
r what was called &quot;sustainable development&quot;
 were developed mainly by Norway's Prime Minister Brundtland and the Round =
Tables set up following her plan.&nbsp; Unfortunately, big business came ba=
ck with a vengeance in the 1990s, many of these gains were lost, EIAs great=
ly limited and reduced in effectiveness,
 and funding cut for many programmes.</div>
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
Thanks to climate change concern, there has been a limited recovery, but me=
dia and governments still try to convince us that ever-increasing populatio=
ns, ever-increasing use of resources, and production of products that becom=
e garbage are the keys to a healthy
 economy.&nbsp; I will believe that we are making progress when I hear stab=
le economies being praised, rather than being called &quot;stagnant&quot;.&=
nbsp; Clean air, clean water, healthy soil and ecosystems and preservation =
of areas of natural biodiversity are MORE important
 than getting rich.</div>
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
The theme this year is biodiversity, and in NS we had at least the good new=
s from the courts that our government has to follow some of its legislation=
 that relates to this.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">
For real progress we need efforts by all who care about the future and abou=
t nature.&nbsp; As my old signature block said, we need to do Environmental=
 Impact Assessments for all actions, plans, and decisions, not only at all =
government levels, but as individuals,
 even if they are only momentary ones made while shopping.&nbsp; We will no=
t always be right, but the more we learn and the more we do them, the bette=
r for the environment.</div>
 text-align: left;" dir=3D"auto">