[NatureNS] World Environment Day June 5

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 15:42:55 -0300

style=3D'background:white'&gt;&lt;span style=3D'color:#212121'&gt;At least, mo
--------------DCD1DD43936460773731E6B8

Hi Wayne & All,

     While one should be aware that personal choices and actions can
have consequences it is counter productive to sweat the small stuff. And
with climate change well underway everything else is small stuff until
that is under control.

     And simplistic crusades may turn out to be a road to dead ends. The
recent history of "single use" plastic bags shows that the huge problem
early in one year may become the required solution a few months later.

     The future is always unknown territory and when traveling into
unknown territory one needs a compass or equivalent.

     And experience gleaned over time in literate cultures provides this
in many forms; John Muir  "Everything is connected", Thoreau "That man
is the richest whose pleasures are cheapest", Plato "Good is that which
preserves and protects; Evil is that which destroys and corrupts."
Proverbs 14:23 King James Bible/"In all labour there is profit/:/but the
talk of the lips tendeth only to penury/." *And one might add the
conventional wisdom "Actions speak louder than words." And the 60'? gave
rise to "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Also a
reliable compass.
*

*    With regard to protection of landscape I wanted to put an easement
on a piece of woodland so that trees could be cut for firewood, logs or
other purposes but the land could never be developed for industrial or
residental purposes  other than a house for the owner and one building.
And ran into a brick wall. My lawyer said that it can not be done. NS
Nature Trust sniffed "We don't protect that kind of land" and another
source pointed me to an expensive process involving much red tape,
frequent meetings----  a royal pain for my heirs. Many who own woodland
would also add easements if this were possible.
*

*    It would be a great advance for environmental protection if a
practical legal process limiting future use could be developed.
*

*    The barrier I suspect is land tax; low for woodland (near zero)
and  high for developed properties. Perhaps the practical solution would
be high taxes for woodland protected from development by an easement.
*

*    A long time ago (80' ?) my wife tried to interest the county in
protection of a local waterfall (Moores Falls)  by having it designated
as a park and was dismissed  with some lame excuse or other.*

*   And finally I admit that setting aside one day each year to draw
attention to a matter which should be a consideration year round does
serve a purpose.
*

*    YT, DW, Kentville*

On 6/5/2020 9:53 AM, Wayne P. Neily wrote:
> Happy 50th World Environment Day everyone.
>
> At least, most of us have made it to another one, although the earth
> is looking rather beaten up.  It would be good if we could get back to
> the level of interest and concern of the 1970s and early 1980s when
> each province and the federal government had an environmental advisory
> council, and when ecological concern was widespread and went beyond
> the concept of climate change.
>
> The idea of Limits to Growth had been advanced by the Club of Rome,
> international cooperation on the issues had been organized, in large
> part thanks to the efforts of Canadian Maurice Strong, and the
> planning and framework for what was called "sustainable development"
> were developed mainly by Norway's Prime Minister Brundtland and the
> Round Tables set up following her plan.  Unfortunately, big business
> came back with a vengeance in the 1990s, many of these gains were
> lost, EIAs greatly limited and reduced in effectiveness, and funding
> cut for many programmes.
>
> Thanks to climate change concern, there has been a limited recovery,
> but media and governments still try to convince us that
> ever-increasing populations, ever-increasing use of resources, and
> production of products that become garbage are the keys to a healthy
> economy.  I will believe that we are making progress when I hear
> stable economies being praised, rather than being called "stagnant".
> Clean air, clean water, healthy soil and ecosystems and preservation
> of areas of natural biodiversity are MORE important than getting rich.
>
> The theme this year is biodiversity, and in NS we had at least the
> good news from the courts that our government has to follow some of
> its legislation that relates to this.
>
> For real progress we need efforts by all who care about the future and
> about nature.  As my old signature block said, we need to do
> Environmental Impact Assessments for all actions, plans, and
> decisions, not only at all government levels, but as individuals, even
> if they are only momentary ones made while shopping.  We will not
> always be right, but the more we learn and the more we do them, the
> better for the environment.
>
> Wayne Neily
>
> Tremont, Nova Scotia
>

> Sent from Outlook Mobile <https://aka.ms/blhgte>d

--------------DCD1DD43936460773731E6B8

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      can have consequences it is counter productive to sweat the small
      stuff. And with climate change well underway everything else is
      small stuff until that is under control.<br>
      ends. The recent history of "single use" plastic bags shows that
      the huge problem early in one year may become the required
      solution a few months later. <br>
      into unknown territory one needs a compass or equivalent. <br>
      provides this in many forms; John Muir  "Everything is connected",
      Thoreau "That man is the richest whose pleasures are cheapest",
      Plato "Good is that which preserves and protects; Evil is that
      which destroys and corrupts." Proverbs 14:23 <span style="color:
        rgb(77, 81, 86); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:
        14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal;
        font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing:
        normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px;
        text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2;
        word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
        background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration-style:
        initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline
        style="font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; color: rgb(95, 99,
        104); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left;
        text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
        widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
        background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration-style:
        initial; text-decoration-color: initial;">"In all labour there
        is profit</em><span style="color: rgb(77, 81, 86); font-family:
        arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        style="font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; color: rgb(95, 99,
        104); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left;
        text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal;
        widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
        background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration-style:
        initial; text-decoration-color: initial;">but the talk of the
        lips tendeth only to penury</em><span style="color: rgb(77, 81,
        86); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;
        font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal;
        font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing:
        normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px;
        text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2;
        word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;
        background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration-style:
        initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline
        !important; float: none;">." <b>And one might add the
          conventional wisdom "Actions speak louder than words." And the
          60'? gave rise to "Do what you can, where you are, with what
          you have." Also a reliable compass.<br>
        sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"><b>    With
          regard to protection of landscape I wanted to put an easement
          on a piece of woodland so that trees could be cut for
          firewood, logs or other purposes but the land could never be
          developed for industrial or residental purposes  other than a
          house for the owner and one building. And ran into a brick
          wall. My lawyer said that it can not be done. NS Nature Trust
          sniffed "We don't protect that kind of land" and another
          source pointed me to an expensive process involving much red
          tape, frequent meetings----  a royal pain for my heirs. Many
          who own woodland would also add easements if this were
          possible. <br>
        sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"><b>    It
          would be a great advance for environmental protection if a
          practical legal process limiting future use could be
          developed. <br>
        sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"><b>    The
          barrier I suspect is land tax; low for woodland (near zero)
          and  high for developed properties. Perhaps the practical
          solution would be high taxes for woodland protected from
          development by an easement. <br>
        sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"><b>    A long
          time ago (80' ?) my wife tried to interest the county in
          protection of a local waterfall (Moores Falls)  by having it
          designated as a park and was dismissed  with some lame excuse
        sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"><b>   And
          finally I admit that setting aside one day each year to draw
          attention to a matter which should be a consideration year
          round does serve a purpose.  <br>
        sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"><b>    YT,
          DW, Kentville</b><br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:YQXPR0101MB11260F04D5B8AE20C160D1EED1860@YQXPR0101MB1126.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM">
        charset=windows-1252">
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        Happy 50th World Environment Day everyone.</div>
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        At least, most of us have made it to another one, although the
        earth is looking rather beaten up.  It would be good if we could
        get back to the level of interest and concern of the 1970s and
        early 1980s when each province and the federal government had an
        environmental advisory council, and when ecological concern was
        widespread and went beyond the concept of climate change.</div>
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        The idea of Limits to Growth had been advanced by the Club of
        Rome, international cooperation on the issues had been
        organized, in large part thanks to the efforts of Canadian
        Maurice Strong, and the planning and framework for what was
        called "sustainable development" were developed mainly by
        Norway's Prime Minister Brundtland and the Round Tables set up
        following her plan.  Unfortunately, big business came back with
        a vengeance in the 1990s, many of these gains were lost, EIAs
        greatly limited and reduced in effectiveness, and funding cut
        for many programmes.</div>
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        Thanks to climate change concern, there has been a limited
        recovery, but media and governments still try to convince us
        that ever-increasing populations, ever-increasing use of
        resources, and production of products that become garbage are
        the keys to a healthy economy.  I will believe that we are
        making progress when I hear stable economies being praised,
        rather than being called "stagnant".  Clean air, clean water,
        healthy soil and ecosystems and preservation of areas of natural
        biodiversity are MORE important than getting rich.</div>
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        The theme this year is biodiversity, and in NS we had at least
        the good news from the courts that our government has to follow
        some of its legislation that relates to this.  </div>
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        For real progress we need efforts by all who care about the
        future and about nature.  As my old signature block said, we
        need to do Environmental Impact Assessments for all actions,
        plans, and decisions, not only at all government levels, but as
        individuals, even if they are only momentary ones made while
        shopping.  We will not always be right, but the more we learn
        and the more we do them, the better for the environment.</div>
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        Wayne Neily</div>
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        Tremont, Nova Scotia</div>
        255, 255); text-align: left;" dir="auto">
        style="text-align: left;" data-ogsc="">
        Sent from <a href="https://aka.ms/blhgte" data-ogsc="" style=""
          moz-do-not-send="true">Outlook Mobile</a>d</div>

--------------DCD1DD43936460773731E6B8--