[NatureNS] Barred Owls on the Wolfville Ridge

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 20:01:08 -0300

We have had so much wonderful Barred Owl vocalising - day or night - around
our Ridge Road property since April that I mentioned it to Bernard Forsythe
our local dedicated 'Barred Owl' man as you all know.  So he became
interested in checking it out, as several years ago, BAOW did successfully
nest here on our property in the broken top of an old oak tree snag.  He
thought it might be another pair that he knew were in the area, nesting near
here (see below), checked their nest, found they had  three young chicks,
and realised here was a NEW pair, possibly young birds just starting out to
pair up. It took some time to find where they had they were nesting.

Eventually seeing them wandering around the Dug Woods (our property being
part of that wooded area which Robie and his brother Harold loved for its
bird diversity), he at last tracked them down to this old snag (wildlife
tree), brought his long ladder from home, and discovered one egg in the nest
on May 13, and there was some snow too. Yesterday (Jun 4)  he checked again
and there was a healthy owlet,

@ four days old. Persistence paid off!

The other nesting Barred Owl pair is within a km of our house, northwest of
here, successfully raising three chicks - last two years raccoons had taken
over this nest box much to Bernard's disappointment, so this is heartening
for him. He has already banded them. In fact he has banded 22 baby owls, so
if ours survives he will have 23 for the season, and he is feeling pretty
happy about that. Knowing that his days are numbered for climbing trees, he
is content on this year's crop of baby owls.

He tells me he found a Goshawk nest in a new area, with three young today
which I believe he said he had banded.

Take care, one and all please,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts