[NatureNS] Fireflies in June?

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 19:08:01 -0300

--------------E105772BC2A667037D2CF3D6

Hi Stephen & All,

     Another aspect which I have not noticed in these exchanges is that
many (most ?) insects spend much sheltering; in soil, under bark, in
litter....or sunning, waiting for favorable flying or feeding
conditions, waiting for a snack to fly past. Or perhaps just resting or
sunning and digesting their last snack.

YT, DW, Kentville

On 6/6/2020 5:28 PM, Stephen Shaw wrote:
> [...]
> group as others which are true flashers, but it itself doesn’t produce
> any light.  Nice birthday present book to dip into, which is how I
> received it — Amazon lists it for Cdn$43.
>
> Range/date info is given in the book for each species covered, but the
> book is not organized this way to allow you to narrow species down.
> Flasher Photuris fairchildi (species named for A.G. Bell’s
> entomologist grandson, and part of the P. versicolor complex) is found
> in Maritimes including NS in June and preys upon flasher Pyractomena
> borealis, which starts to fly in NS even earlier in the year.  One or
> other might be Pat’s species, but no guarantee at all: we could use
> the expert local views of e.g. Chris Majka or Andrew Hebda, but I’m
> not sure that either still subscribes to NatureNS.
> Steve
> On Jun 6, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Patrick Kelly <Patrick.Kelly@Dal.Ca
> <mailto:Patrick.Kelly@Dal.Ca>> wrote:
>> A good point!
>>
>> I think what I should have noted was that as an amateur astronomer, I
>> spend a fair bit of time outside in the dark for most of the year.
>> Having spent 30 years at this location, I have never seem any
>> fireflies in June, late July being the earliest. If we do have a
>> species that is an "early bird", they must be having a great year!
>>
>> Pat
>>

>> On Jun 6, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Rick Whitman wrote:
>>
>>> CAUTION: The Sender of this email is not from within Dalhousie.
>>>
>>> It's important to remember that there are at least several species.
>>> So while we may recall when the most common species comes out
>>> (whichever that is) we don't remember the secondary species. And
>>> populations of each species can vary a lot year to year. Our
>>> displays have always been poor compared to what you can see in the
>>> lower 2/3 of the US or the tropics.
>>> As laypeople, we tend to talk about "blackflies", "mosquitoes",
>>> "ladybeetles" or "fireflies" as if there was one species of each.
>>> This is pretty far from reality as we have a number, or many,
>>> species of each of these, as well as most other insects that we name
>>> generically. And, of course, with natural selection EACH species has
>>> its own unique life history and time of occurrence throughout the 6
>>> or 8 decent months.
>>> Regards,
>>> Rick.
>>>
>>> On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 22:48, Patrick Kelly <Patrick.Kelly@dal.ca
>>> <mailto:Patrick.Kelly@dal.ca>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     I was out around 10:30 PM last night... as I was looking for the
>>>     Starlink satellites to pass overhead.... On my way down to the
>>>     nearby cemetery, I saw two flashes from a firefly.... and now
>>>     there are a few flashing in my backyard..... I have seen
>>>     fireflies here in the past, and where I grew up in Spryfield,
>>>     but only in August and and even then, only on really warm still
>>>     nights.....
>>>
>>>     Is it normal for them to be active at this time of the year?

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      that many (most ?) insects spend much sheltering; in soil, under
      bark, in litter....or sunning, waiting for favorable flying or
      feeding conditions, waiting for a snack to fly past. Or perhaps
      just resting or sunning and digesting their last snack. <br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:2739681B-E4A4-4FBE-9728-07462FA599C5@dal.ca">
        charset=windows-1252">