[NatureNS] Maritimes SwiftWatch during COVID-19

From: Ally Manthorne <amanthorne@birdscanada.org>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 18:58:58 +0000

Happy World Migratory Bird Day!

As you scan the skies for new arrivals, please keep a special lookout for Chimney Swifts, which are just beginning to show up in the Maritimes this week. With their arrival, the 2020 Maritimes SwiftWatch season will begin. Every year, citizen scientists in the SwiftWatch program fill critical information gaps by monitoring Chimney Swifts at roost sites across Canada during the spring migration in late May and early June. Participants also identify and monitor chimneys and other structures (e.g. barns) used by swifts between May and September. This information helps us track Chimney Swift populations in Canada and guides our conservation efforts.

Unfortunately, due to the health risks posed by COVID-19 Birds Canada has come to the difficult but necessary decision to suspend all volunteer surveys and field work until further notice. This means that the National Roost Monitoring program will not be running this season. Please read our updated Policy on Resumption of Field Activities under COVID-19 and Policy on Outdoor Work under COVID-19, here: https://www.birdscanada.org/policy-on-outdoor-work-under-covid-19/

However, there are still several ways you can get involved while respecting provincial and local health directives and guidelines:

1. Are you a swift or swallow landlord? We'd love to hear from you! Landowners play a key role in conserving swifts and swallows. Swift & Swallow Friendly Property recognition signs are available for landowners hosting Chimney Swifts, Barn Swallows, Bank Swallows, Cliff Swallows, and/or Tree Swallows.

2. If you do live on a property that hosts swifts or swallows, and can safely observe nesting or roosting activity without leaving your property, consider joining Project NestWatch: www.birdscanada.org/bird-science/project-nestwatch/<https://www.birdscanada.org/bird-science/project-nestwatch/>

3. From your own yard, use www.eBird.org<http://www.eBird.org>  to record your observations of swifts and swallows entering/exiting a nest or roost site or flying overhead. These observations help us focus our surveys and outreach efforts.

4. Check out www.birdscanada.org/the-roost/<https://www.birdscanada.org/the-roost/> for 'Introduction to Birding' webinars, family activities, videos, podcasts and more.

5. Visit www.birdscanada.org/discover-birds/bird-friendly-schools/educator-resources/<https://www.birdscanada.org/discover-birds/bird-friendly-schools/educator-resources/> for educator resources including fun crafts, worksheets, and activities for kids of all ages.

Although our offices are closed, Birds Canada staff and our partners are adjusting our work to keep advancing science, awareness, and conservation by other means. Contact Maritimes SwiftWatch (marswifts@birdscanada.org or 506-227-9202) for more information about swifts and swallows and how you can safely participate in 2020, or visit SwiftWatch online at www.birdscanada.org/bird-science/swiftwatch/<https://www.birdscanada.org/bird-science/swiftwatch/> As always, a sincere thank you goes out to volunteers, partners, and supporters who make SwiftWatch possible.

Happy spring, and please stay safe!

Allison Manthorne
Coordinator  | Coordonnatrice
Maritimes SwiftWatch | Suivi du Martinet dans les Maritimes
Birds Canada  |  Oiseaux Canada
17 Waterfowl Lane  |  17 ruelle Waterfowl
Sackville, NB   E4L 1G6

Phone | Tel  NEW: 506-227-9202 (cell) | marswifts@birdscanada.org
NEW: https://www.birdscanada.org/bird-science/swiftwatch/