[NatureNS] Mink Frogs in NS

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 19:18:30 -0400

On 14-Jun.-20 2:20 p.m., nancy dowd wrote:
> Heard a new (for me) sound at a marsh this morning in E Dalhousie, Kings. A wooden “cut, cut, cut” was sounding from the grassy edges all around the pond at intervals for the first time this year so I recorded it. Obviously, it was a frog and the call matches that of a Mink Frog perfectly.  Wondering about their distribution in NS? I read they are much less common than other frogs.  And they are often not covered in local guides such as Summer Nature Notes for Nova Scotians by Merritt Gibson (I have an old copy). Not finding much on the internet either.  Info appreciated.

* they're very aquatic, and spend a lot of time on lilypads. The story
is told that when Sherm Bleakney was doing the first survey of NS herps
in the 1950s he missed Mink Frogs entirely in his first summer, because
they jumped into the water immediately, and left only Green Frogs on the
shore to be noticed. Also, they sometimes call during daylight, but
usually they ramp up their calling around midnight, and come to full
chorus around dawn, so, in addition to looking very much like Green
Frogs, they're generally situated out of the notice of human observers.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
  nationally recognized as incapable of generating a net income from our
work -
http://www.wwf.ca/newsroom/?31661/Glen-Davis-Conservation-Leadership-Prize