[NatureNS] Fwd: Catling & company on invasive Phragmites in the Maritimes

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 21:13:27 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca, "Catling, Paul" <Paul.Catling@agr.gc.ca>,

&gt; 2003). The i
--0000000000000275a305a828838f

* Phragmites australis *ssp.* australis *occurs at various places on many
of the 100 series highways (103, 101, 102 , 107 ). While it is good to
eliminate the plant where feasible, there is a trade-off between the pain
(e.g. the disturbance of herbiciding areas of the Tantramar) and the gain.
From a terrestrial wetland point of view, I can't vouch for the
biodiversity value of the Tantramar--it seems an anthropogenically
disturbed landscape, but correct me if mistaken. There are good reasons to
eliminate *Phragmites australis *ssp.* australis *where it is scattered
along these 100 series highways because they are small patches and conduits
to high biodiversity wetlands throughout the province...e.g. the marshes of
the Musquodoboit valley or riparian marshes of SW Nova that support the
native subspecies *americanus. *

The native subspecies is more delicate, the culms are thinner-- usually
reddish (vs. green-yellow)--and in my experience, they are most common on
wind-exposed, lakeshore fens. While ssp americanus has a S4 ranking, I
would say it was rare.
Nick

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 12:13 PM Frederick W. Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
wrote:

> Maritimers,
>
> Listening to the discussion of the Tantramar marshes on the Sunday
> Edition yesterday, and not hearing any discussion of invasive European
> Phragmites there, I'm forwarding this warning from 2004, and from 2010 -
>
> https://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/2010/10/view-from-beausejour.h=
tml
> - in the hopes that there's some possibility of action.
>
> from the 2010 report: "This is the one place in the Maritimes where the
> invasive European Phragmites australis subspecies australis has been
> reported, so we are interested in seeing how conditions here compare to
> what we'd observed elsewhere in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia... we
> drove the busy road across the marshes both ways, waypointing stands and
> taking representative specimens...
>
> "The first thing we noticed was that the stands were very distinctly
> divided into native-like and invasive-like kinds: we counted 11 alien
> and 7 native stands, and only 1 that we called ambiguous, though the
> natives graded out into little whisps, and we doubtless missed some of
> these which an observer on foot could have waypointed. The most striking
> feature of this difference was the persistent green foliage of the
> aliens, in contrast to the shriveled get-ready-for-winter brown of the
> natives (one often sees that alien plants from NW Europe retain green
> leaves far longer than native plants do).
>
> "Those on NatureNS will remember that throughout Nova Scotia we were
> perplexed by the intermediacy and confusing morphology of the majority
> of the Phragmites stands we sampled there: at Tantramar there was no
> ambiguity, and the natives didn't look much different from the ones we
> see in Ontario".
>
> Those of us in Ontario have seen how completely the invasive Phragmites
> can take over wide areas, and really wish action could be taken in the
> Maritimes before the task becomes impossible.
>
> fred.
=3D=3D=3D