[NatureNS] Fwd: Catling & company on invasive Phragmites in the

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 16:46:09 -0300

&gt;&gt; spreading  along  roadsides and invading and domin
Hi Fred & All,

     I am familiar with P. communis, which perhaps is considered native,
and my comments refer to it.

     If planted in poorly drained soil it will spread and become
dominant if the perimeter is not mowed. After soil is able to drain it
is readily"invaded" and suppressed by plants which do well in drained soil.

     I am not familiar with the 'invasive' Phragmites, but, if it
belongs in that genus, I would expect it to also prosper in poorly
drained soil and improve drainage. And I expect it could be readily
contained by mowing new shoots before they start exporting carbohydrate
back into the rhizomes.

     I gather from your comments that P. australis australis is growing
better on the Tantramar Marsh than P. communis. It consequently can do a
better job of slowing erosion than P.communis. Why is that a problem ?

     Is P. australis australis larger than P. communis ? If so it would
have better potential as biomass.

YT, DW, Kentville

On 6/15/2020 8:32 PM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>      In view of the Genuine Problem; man made Climate change and the
>> need to switch from fossil fuels to renewables ASAP, I wonder about
>> the potential for power generation across the Isthmus of Chignecto.
>> Bay of Fundy has a very large tidal range. The Northumberland Strait
>> has a much smaller range. The head would be small but I wonder if
>> this has been investigated.
>>
>>      I understand that a very large ice shelf in NW Antarctica is
>> being undercut by ocean currents and record high temperatures there.
>> The land end of this shelf slows the flow of glacial ice into the
>> ocean. If this shelf were to break free a rise of the ocean of 100
>> feet over 100 years is projected.
>>
>>      Worrying about this will not slow temperature rise down south.
>> But appreciating that climate change can be slowed by leaving fossil
>> fuel in the ground, and giving the transition to renewables top
>> priority will.
>>
>> YT, DW, Kentville
>>
>> On 6/15/2020 12:08 PM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
>
>>> Listening to the discussion of the Tantramar marshes on the Sunday
>>> Edition yesterday, and not hearing any discussion of invasive
>>> European Phragmites there, I'm forwarding this warning from 2004,
>>> and from 2010 -
>>> https://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/2010/10/view-from-beausejour.html
>>> - in the hopes that there's some possibility of action.
>>>
>>> from the 2010 report: "This is the one place in the Maritimes where
>>> the invasive European Phragmites australis subspecies australis has
>>> been reported, so we are interested in seeing how conditions here
>>> compare to what we'd observed elsewhere in New Brunswick and Nova
>>> Scotia... we drove the busy road across the marshes both ways,
>>> waypointing stands and taking representative specimens...
>>>
>>> "The first thing we noticed was that the stands were very distinctly
>>> divided into native-like and invasive-like kinds: we counted 11
>>> alien and 7 native stands, and only 1 that we called ambiguous,
>>> though the natives graded out into little whisps, and we doubtless
>>> missed some of these which an observer on foot could have
>>> waypointed. The most striking feature of this difference was the
>>> persistent green foliage of the aliens, in contrast to the shriveled
>>> get-ready-for-winter brown of the natives (one often sees that alien
>>> plants from NW Europe retain green leaves far longer than native
>>> plants do).
>>>
>>> "Those on NatureNS will remember that throughout Nova Scotia we were
>>> perplexed by the intermediacy and confusing morphology of the
>>> majority of the Phragmites stands we sampled there: at Tantramar
>>> there was no ambiguity, and the natives didn't look much different
>>> from the ones we see in Ontario".
>>>
>>> Those of us in Ontario have seen how completely the invasive
>>> Phragmites can take over wide areas, and really wish action could be
>>> taken in the Maritimes before the task becomes impossible.

>>> River (e.g. Lavoie et al. 2003) and wetlands in southern Ontario