[NatureNS] swallowtail question

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:36:05 -0300

--------------A203592EADB58424A3CD0DBA

On 2020-06-22 8:47 AM, Andrew Stadnyk wrote:

> Canadian Tiger Swallowtails were present in good numbers  last week,
> saw them in Lower Sackville and Annapolis Royal on the weekend. I have
> a pic of one lacking any colour in the hindwing. Looking it up I
> discovered the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail may lack the blue couloring
> on the hindwing. Is there an easy way to confirm my visitor as one or
> the other? Online, there are considerable variations in the details on
> these butterflies.

Males have less blue than females and P. canadensis typically has less
blue than P. glaucus. My guess is that your photo is of a male largely
lacking the blue spots...

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3

philschappert.ca
imaginaturestudio.ca

   ◎|||||||◎

If it gets much better than this,
  I may need some medication, to get me through the day
If it gets much better than this,
  I may need some strong sedation, or I might just float away

           Tony Hawks, Nik Kershaw & Ash Alexander
          (from 'Round Ireland With A Fridge, 2010)

--------------A203592EADB58424A3CD0DBA

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:YT1PR01MB2428975F597A8980F668BEE2E4970@YT1PR01MB2428.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Canadian Tiger Swallowtails were present in good numbers  last
        week, saw them in Lower Sackville and Annapolis Royal on the
        weekend. I have a pic of one lacking any colour in the hindwing.
        Looking it up I discovered the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail may
        lack the blue couloring on the hindwing. Is there an easy way to
        confirm my visitor as one or the other? Online, there are
        considerable variations in the details on these butterflies.</div>
      less blue than P. glaucus. My guess is that your photo is of a
      male largely lacking the blue spots...</p>
    --
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">
Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3

philschappert.ca
imaginaturestudio.ca

  ◎|||||||◎

If it gets much better than this,
 I may need some medication, to get me through the day
If it gets much better than this,
 I may need some strong sedation, or I might just float away

          Tony Hawks, Nik Kershaw &amp; Ash Alexander
         (from 'Round Ireland With A Fridge, 2010)</pre>

--------------A203592EADB58424A3CD0DBA--