[NatureNS] Dissecting microscope aid

ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:36:18 +0000

Hi Dave,
A nice inexpensive idea, but it only gives rotation about one axis, so to see more angle you’d have to repeatedly reposition the pinned insect’s pin in the styrofoam - feasible over small angles, but not a great idea anyway with delicate mounted insects.  Maybe lichens are more resilient. Also, the solvent in many glues will dissolve styrofoam — regular aquarium sealant works fine.

A device for rotating in all 3 axes X, Y & Z is technically called a goniometer.  I’ve made several such miniature Heath Robinson/Rube Goldberg devices for microscopic photography of pinned insects over the years.  A cheap large one, size like yours, used to be available from Bioquip in California — I have one bought years ago, maybe $20.  Bioquip now lists only the ultra-deluxe stainless steel version for US$254 (!).  To see its construction, identical to the one I have, google:
https://bioquipinc.com/
and insert 11RPSM in the search box.  Must be some rich entomologists in USA — I wouldn’t pay $254 for this.
Steve