Manage Mailing Lists
Mailing Lists are managed by sending email messages addressed to
majordomo. This document describes the commands used by subscribers (or
individuals who wish to subscribe) to Majordomo mailing lists.
A typical mail message is
addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a message in the body.
Majordomo responds by email which normally takes a few minutes.
Majordomo will accept more than one command in a message... simply place
each command on a separate line.
If you are sending a command and can't be bothered deleting your
signature or other text in the message place the end command on
a separate line... majordomo will ignore any text it finds after this
Common commands used by subscribers
- subscribe listname
- Subscribe yourself to mailing list "listname"
- subscribe listname address
- Subscribes person at "address" to mailing list "listname"
Note: A 'closed' list will forward your request to the list owner for
'approval' of your request.
- unsubscribe listname
- Unsubscribe yourself to mailing lists "listname"
- unsubscribe listname address
- Unsubscribe person at "address" to mailing list "listname", Note: if
address is either not you or not the address from which you are sending
this message the message will be passed on the the list-owner for
approval. In some cases it may be easier to send mail directly to the
list owner (listname-owner) and ask that individual to unsubscribe you.
- Report the mailing lists you are subscribed to (on this system).
- which address
- Report the mailing lists the person at "address" is subscribed to
(on this system)
- who list
- Report the people subscribed to mailing list
are not 'public' will not provide this information unless you are a
member of this list.
- info listname
- Get the welcome/information message for list "listname"
- Report the mailing lists managed by majordomo on this machine
- Retrieve a help message, explaining these majordomo commands