McCulloch House, a designated Nova Scotian heritage
site, was built in 1806 for
Dr Thomas McCulloch, a
prominent educator, writer and minister. Constructed of
bricks sent from Scotland, it is commonly referred to as
being of "Scottish domestic" design.
Originally the line of the roof was a gable. However, many exterior and interior features of the house remain unchanged. The carvings of the white pine interior wood trim are attributed to George McCulloch, a brother to Thomas, who spent his later years in Pictou.
Dr McCulloch called his home "Sherbrooke Cottage" as a tribute to Sir John Sherbrooke, a Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia who had been sympathetic to the development of Pictou Academy.
Since 1943, McCulloch House has been the home of the Murdoch MacCuish family. It was purchased by the province of Nova Scotia in 1972 for preservation as an historic house. Mrs MacCuish remained in residence for many years and the house together with its extensive geneaological archives and library are administered on behalf of the province by the Hector Centre Trust.
For further information on opening hours, upcoming events and museum exhibits please go here
McCulloch House, Pictou, Nova Scotia [33K JPEG; Click to View]
McCulloch House [Chronicle-Herald: 23 August 1998]
McCulloch House; now part of
Nova Scotia Museum Complex
McCulloch House; presented by the
Pictou County Genealogy and Heritage Society