Kenneth McCulloch was gazetted an ensign in the 78th Fraser
Highlanders on 23 July 1760 which would indicate he was probably promoted
from the ranks, as no significant reinforcement was sent from Scotland for
this regiment in 1760. Many gentlemen volunteers served in the ranks until
an vacancy or opportunity for promotion afforded itself. As Ensign
McCulloch is not on on the recorded trees of families in Galloway, and the
78th being a Fraser, Gaelic- speaking, and Highlander regiment, he
probably hailed from Rosshire gentry as did the Ross, Munro and MacKenzie
officers also listed.
He petitioned the King collectively with the rest of the officers of the 78th for a land grant (his share being 2000 acres) in 1763. In July 1767, some four years later, their request was granted by His Majesty's Commissioners for Trades & Plantations. They were allocated township lots no. 41 and 42 which were were situated adjacent to St Peters Bay and "the carrying place to the Bay of Fortune", the site of present day St Peters in King's County, PEI. Whether McCulloch ever went back to Canada to farm his land is unknown.