The Nova Scotia tartan was the first provincial tartan in Canada. It reflects the profound contribution of the Scots to the founding of Nova Scotia, and the pioneer settlement of the old Royal Province. The very name Nova Scotia resounds with early Scottish colonial ambition. In Jacobean Latin, it meant New Scotland.
One among many large groups of settlers in the 18th and 19th centuries, the Scots brought with them the powerful lore of the Highlands. From this, the folk art revival of the present century brought forth Nova Scotia's most recent emblem.
Originally designed in 1953 for the agricultural exhibition in Truro, the popular tartan was later submitted by the Province for approval of the Lord Lyon King of Arms and in 1956 registered in Her Majesty's Register Office in Edinburgh, Scotland.
A district tartan that may be worn by anyone, its blue and white are for the surf-ridden sea, greens for the forests, red for the royal lion on the Arms of Nova Scotia, and gold for the Province's historic Royal Charter.