Connection problems...

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:11:16 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Ruth A. Edmunds" <an310@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Ruth,

   Do you have call waiting on your phone?  If so, you will have to add
*70, to your dialing number to disengage call waiting for that call.
Every time a call is received by your phone while you're using it, a short
beep or series of beeps sound to let you know someone is on the other line
waiting fo you to answer.  Since the internet is nothing more than a
series of beeps, clicks and screeches, these call waiting beeps are
interpreted as other messages to the internet system, possibly as a
shutdown code which would result in a disconnect or a stalled connection.

   If you do not have call waiting, I would suggest that you check all the
lines in your home.  Even if a line isn't connected to your modem; just
being connected to another phone and consisting of a bad wire, could
result in your internet connection disconnecting or stalling.  If you set
Firefox to QuickStart, it start up when you boot your computer and not
shut off so it will be ready when you need it, just as an icon in the
lower right hand corner of the taskbar; that sometimes helps with the
speed of the program, providing your computer is fast enough to handle it
being active all the time.

CCN Help