Text dial up

Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 16:09:14 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Ruth Bailey <ac288@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Ruth,

    It's a result of switching the lines over to the PLUS phone system.
The upside is that (for some systems), the speed will increase from an
average of 28k to a potential high of 51-53k.  Also, there will be many
more phone lines available as the text phone line bank had been shrinking
for many years as PLUS membership grew and text membership dwindled.  The
text users will now have access to as many lines as the PLUS users.  The
switchover will simplify technical aspects and cost as well.

    The downside side is that some systems will experience problems with
the new setup.  My setup, for example, use ProCOMM PLUS (for DOS) and I
can't set my connect rate at any higher than 38,4k (33.6), which is what
I had it  set at, before the switch.  This means, for me anyway, I am
still running at the  same connect speed that I was before.  My modem, an
external USRobotics 56k v90 isn't completely compatible with the PLUS line
while using ProCOMM,  however, the same modem works fine at 56k when I
connect to PLUS using Trumpet Winsock, an old pre-Dial Up Networking
protocol for Windows 3.1 (as you can tell, I'm way behind in modern
setups).

    This lays the blame on ProCOMM which is failing in certain aspects to
compensate for shortcomings in the modem and CCN connection at a higher
connectrate, as the system works well for PLUS.  Each program is going to
succeed or fail in some aspect and HyperTerminal may be failing in the
same or a slightly different aspect.  Are you using version 5 of HT?  That
was the first release that worked the best with most systems and didn't
crash during zmodem downloads.  Try setting your connect speed down to
38,4k (33.6) and see if that helps.  As the bugs get tweaked out of
everything, we may find certain settings changes that will work for
everyone.

    Let us know if reducing your connect speed helps.  If it does, then you
will just be connecting at the speed at which you have always connected,
prior to the change.

Tony @ CCN help