Accessing Chebucto from my laptop

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:00:52 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Burris Devanney <devanney@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Burris,

    Does your laptop have a modem?  If so, it's simply a matter of
setting up the connection:

    From our 'PLUS Setup for XP' page:

    Here are the instructions for setting up a Microsoft Windows XP computer
to use a Chebucto Plus graphical access connection to the Internet.

    1. Click on the Windows XP Start button and select Control Panel.

    2. Select Network and Internet Connections.

    3. Select Set up or change your Internet connection.

    4. Select Connections tab then click Setup button.

    5. Select Dial-up to private network.

    6. Put in the Chebucto Plus phone number: 494-6744.  Should you require
it, the area code is 902.  If your Aliant telephone has Call Waiting, you
can stop it from disrupting your Internet connection by putting this in
front of the phone number: *70,,  The asterix seven zero disables Call
Waiting while you are online with an Aliant phone connection.  This option
reportedly does not work with Eastlink phone service.  Do not use the *70
prefix with an Eastlink phone connection. The two commas make the modem
pause a moment before dialing the rest of the phone number.  If you are
disabling your Call Waiting, the phone number should look like this:
*70,,494-6744

    7. Call your connection Chebucto Plus and then press Finish.

    8. Your Chebucto Plus connection is now set up.  You can select whether
you want to have your modem set to automatically dial the Internet when you
run a program that requires Internet access or not. Press OK when you are
done.

    9. You can connect using a desktop icon to Chebucto Plus; or by following
the Connect to: link from the Windows XP Start button.  Use your username
and Chebucto Plus password to connect.  Your username is the part of your
Chebucto email address before the "@" sign.  If your Chebucto email address
is example@chebucto.ns.ca, then your username would be just example.  You
have to use the Chebucto Plus password to connect to the Internet.  This
password is given to you by the Chebucto Office and is only used to make the
Chebucto Plus graphical connection to the Internet.  The Chebucto Plus
password will not work to get access to your Chebucto email or files, which
use a different password.

    When you have successfully connected to the Internet, you will see a
connection icon in your Windows XP system tray.  When you see this, you can
run your Internet programs.  Double click on the connection icon to
disconnect from Chebucto Plus when you are done.

                                Mail settings:

      * POP3 (Receive mail) server: pop.chebucto.ns.ca
      * IMAP (Receive mail) server: imap.chebucto.ns.ca
      * SMTP (Send mail) server: smtp.chebucto.ns.ca

    As for our wireless service, it's still getting off the ground and
is servicing the south end area of Halifax.  There is no timetable at
present to get out as far as Rockingham although we hope to continue
expanding the area.

Tony @ CCN Help