Assistance Needed

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:15:26 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Robert Douglas <at492@chebucto.ns.ca>

 	Hi Robert. There's nothing on our side of things that
would account for what you are describing.

 	Checking your connection history, which you can do yourself by
going to http://plus.chebucto.ns.ca while logged into Chebucto Plus as
yourself, then clicking on the link that says Your Plus Usage, shows that
you usually connect at a very good speed, typically 49 or 50 K and only
once in a while do you connect at any slower speed.

 	You get disconnected about 20% of the time, which is a bit high.
Your disconnections are split between remote-end-hung-up, which means that
to us the phone connection was hung up on your side, and
dropped-carrier-detected, which means the phone call was severed. Usually
this is a switch in the telephone office tripping when it shouldn't.

 	My guess is physically your area's phone lines are pretty good but
are probably subject to some sort of occasional interference maybe from
wind or moisture on the lines. Do you find your phone lines get noisy when
the weather is bad? If so then that could cause data to have to be re-sent
but it would have to be very bad indeed to affect the loading as much as
you describe.

 	The slow loading of pages can come from a number of causes in
addition to the speed of your connection. If your computer is doing a lot
of hard drive activity when it is slow, for example, it could mean your
computer does not have enough RAM, or is engaged in some sort of activity
you don't know about, for example, if the computer had been compromised.
There's a good free program called Process Explorer which shows you at a
glance what is doing what on your computer and how much resources it is
using. You can get it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

 	It is also possible that you are running some sort of firewall
software that is interfering with your network requests. You don't really
need firewall software running on our Chebucto Plus service as your
connection is already behind our firewall. Try turning off the firewall
and see if that changes anything.

 	I would not recommend using the years-out-of-date Netscape 8
browser or indeed any variety of Netscape as it is not being updated after
this month and the current newest copy, 9.0.0.5, has known serious
unpatched vulnerabilities. Firefox, current version 2.0.0.12, is patched.

 	Firefox ought to load very quickly on a system like yours. If it
is not, then there must be a reason for it. It's just a question of what
it is. Is it coming from the computer being tied up with other things or
is something interfering with the way the computer talks to the network?