Zmodem problems

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:01:36 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Simon D. Williams" <bb065@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Simon,

    A couple of years ago, CCN moved the remaining text service lines
over to the PLUS system (to save on costs) and connects them via
telnet.  As a result, several terminal programs now lock up when
attempting to download.  In the past, telnet transfers via PCs had
experienced the same problem so we added an extra option to the
download menu which added a '-e' (to escape the control codes), and
this fixed the PC transfers.  At the time, Apple II transfers were
unaffected by the telnet control code problem.

    It seems, since we switched all text lines over to telnet, the II
transfers are now suffering from the same problem that PCs had
experienced previously.  I tried adding an '-e' to the download but to
no avail.  I'm not sure exactly what is happening this time as the
effect is the same but the cause is apparently something different.  I
am copying this to CCN-TECH in the event they can offer a solution or,
at least, something to try.  It's obviously a control code problem of
some sort.  It's possible the RS-422 port of the II is not fully
compatible with the RS-232 port of the PC but I believe it's ProTERM's
ZModem option that's now failing with this change and if the proper
corresponding control code can be adjusted on our end, this should fix
the problem.

    If you come across a solution online somewhere, let us know so we
can add it here.  I'm still working on it in the meantime.  If you
have access to an older Mac (I use a IIci with Z-Term 0.1b3 - it
isn't affected by this problem  - I can send it to you in a separate
email, if you can't retrieve it from our PDA), you can download things
with that and transfer them over to the II by just putting the
download on an 800k disk or by AppleTalk transfer.  If using a PC,
CiderPress 3.0 (now freeware), is available.  You could also try
reducing the transfer speed to 2400-4800-9600bps to see if it's a
speed-related problem.  Also try using XModem, as I found that
sometime worked years ago and was somewhat faster than Kermit.

    I'm not sure why Kermit works and ZModem doesn't but it could be
related to the fact that ZModem is a bulk transfer protocol and the
stream might be getting clogged somehow in the process.  Kermit is
more strictly paced.  I'm not sure if there is an option to force
ZModem to act more like Kermit but I agree it's frustrating.

Tony @ CCN Help