Ihr UPS Paket N2095082115

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 01:38:35 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: John Little <little@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi John,

    This just means that a spammer has used your email address as the
return address on their spam.  It happens to all of us at one time or
another and there is nothing that can be done about it so just delete
the messages and it will pass.

    Spammers use real addresses from their mailing lists to get around
spam checks at mail servers which look for a genuine reply-to address
on incoming email.  They only use them for small runs since otherwise
their spam could get filtered out that way.  When the spam hits
invalid addresses the receiving mail server sends a bounced message to
where it thinks the spam originated.

CCN Help

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, John Little wrote:

> this message came to us by mistake.  maybe it's junk.  or maybe
>just the  wrong address.  my German is not that great, but it seems
> to say that my package could not be delivered because the address
> doesn't exist.  I did not open the attachment.

8< snip forwarded message >8