Webmail problems

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:10:15 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: David Patrick Lyons <dlyons@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi David,

    Your original email was sent to Tech so they could test the email
system and we haven't heard of any problems from other users.

    Does the file have a strange name or odd characters within the name?
I've seen attachments rejected because they were oddly-named such as:
mai%43#l.zip.  Odd characters such as @#$%^&*() in the filename will mess
up file transfer from accounts to email and may be rejected.

    As a rule of thumb, if your account can hold the file, then your email
can send it so the size of the file isn't an issue, as long as it resides
in your account.  Email accounts can be as high as 2gb in size so that is
quite a bit of breathing room for file attachments.  As a test, I sent a
50mb file attachment out and received it too.  How do you access your
mail?  PINE (which I use through text dial-up) obviously has no noticeable
size limit.  If you're using Webmail or POP3, there might be a transfer
speed issue related to file size.

    I sent a test file from a friend's house using Eastlink high speed with
a 5mb file and it failed so it was an Eastlink problem.  My friend
received the 5mb file from my CCN account so I was able to send it but he
couldn't return it.  File size might have something to do with it if
you're uploading 'live' from your home account.

CCN Help