E-Mail issue

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 00:50:04 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: William Oxner <woxnerw@ns.sympatico.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Bill,

    Using the Chebucto SMTP server will only work while logged into Chebucto
Plus either through dial-up or wireless.  If you're using Sympatico and
telnetting to PLUS, you will need to use their SMTP server (probably
smtp.sympatico.ca) to send mail out.  The reason for this is that, many
years ago, spammers found they could send spam through remote SMTP servers
without even being connected to the service.

    Once ISPs wised up to their plot, most (if not all) ISPs now lock out
their SMTP servers to remote users and only their in-house logged in users
can use the SMTP server.  That forces spammers to actually have a Chebucto
account and that wouldn't work for them because their account would be
flagged for high email traffic and investigated.

    This is an unfortunate result of abuse by spammers but it was something
that ISPs found necessary to do to prevent third party spam from utilizing
the in-house SMTP server.  If you are logged in directly through dial-up
and still cannot send email, let us know and we will investigate further.

CCN Help

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, William Oxner wrote:

> Hi Today:
>  I am unable to send mail from my Outlook Express E-Mail Browser..  My chebucto account is  ax056@chebucto.ns.ca   I am able to receive E-Mail from my account..  I have a new Sympatico account..  My E-mail address with that server is  woxnerw@ns.symp
atico.ca
>  I am able to send and receive mail from that account..   I may have something in the Outlook Express config. panel not correctly set..  I am trying to reach you using your 494-2449 voice phone number..  However, I am unable to reach you..  Can you s
uggest how I may correct the issue I have with a return mail to see If I have something not set correct in the outlook express config panel..  I am using Vista Home premium as my Operating System..