Edit my files

Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 15:27:56 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Joy Mendleson <ab522@chebucto.ns.ca>

 	Hi Joy. From your email headers it is clear that you are coming in
from an Aliant connection. As you may or may not know, Aliant connections
to Chebucto get routed through the United States so it is a very good idea
not to use plain text methods of connecting to Chebucto such as telnet.

 	We support encryption using all our available protocols so you
should use SSH (encrypted telnet) if you want to log in to the text
interface and edit your files in place. A good Windows SSH program is
Putty. There is a link to it in the recommended software list at
http://chebucto.ca/news

 	Set Putty to connect to host chebucto.ca using SSH2 and set the
Keyboard option for Backspace to be Ctrl-H then save these settings as the
default. Your web folder is reached by logging in then typing gfiles to
get to your files area. Your web folder is called public_html.

 	You can also choose to edit the files on your own computer. We
recommend using the SFTP (secure FTP) protocol and the client version of
the free Open Source program FileZilla (also on our recommended software
list, above). FileZilla is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

 	To connect, use the host chebucto.ca and set the protocol to SFTP.
Right side of the screen is our server, left side is your home computer.
Files can be transferred to your home machine and modified there using any
text editor or graphics program then uploaded back.

 	If you want to set your mail access to also be encrypted (a very
good idea), you can find how to set that up here:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/PPP/securemail.shtml