Russian hackers?

Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:58:10 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Matthew D Dubois <42ludite@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Matthew,

    Spammers use addresses they skim from mailing lists, newsgroup
postings, webpages (like Facebook or MySpace) etc to forge outgoing email
addresses to millions of unlucky recipients.  They used your email address
as a 'From:', knowing that any bounces will go to you and not them.
Spammers use 'valid' forged addresses because many mail services will
check (via a ping across the internet) to see if a sender address is valid
before even allowing an email into their queue.

    There's really nothing you (or anyone) can do about it.  The only way
to minimize spam and things like email forging is to never post, write or
advertise your email address anywhere including webpages.  Even then, you
would be surprised how spammers can still get your email address.  Since
you weren't the one sending the emails, just delete the bounces and chalk
it up to experience on the internet.

    Spammers rotate among millions of addresses at any given moment so
your address may or may never be used again.  The reason you see the
bounces is that lazy admins of spam filters around the world send bounces
back to the sender, even though that address may be forged (instead of
checking the path and IP numbers which will give you the real sender most
of the time), so the innocent address owner gets the bounce from the email
the spammer sent.

CCN Help