Failed email

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:56:33 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: burris devanney <devanney@eastlink.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Louanne,

    Are you sending your email through your Eastlink account?  If so, you
need to use Eastlink as the 'sender' in your options.  Go to your Settings
in your email program and set SMTP to: eastlink.ca and it should work.
CCN (and just about every other ISP in the world) now use their own SMTP
settings only when the user is logged into CCN (or those other ISPs).

    The reason for this is to prevent spammers from sending junkmail all
over the world via different accounts, all while sending everything from a
single account.  By making them physically log into a service in order to
send email, forces them to add that one step that can be policed via the
ISP and spam can be prevented.

    Prior to this change, CCN (and other ISPs) would allow people to use
their servers to send email through, without being logged in, and spammers
took advantage of this loophole and would flood people's inboxes with
junk - the result of which was that particular ISP being blacklisted for
hosting a spammer; so all ISPs started locking down their email sending
systems unless the user is physically logged into the service.

    I hope this helped to explain things.

CCN Help